Faculty/Staff Help Desk FAQs
(simply click on your question to view answer)
- * Where is the Faculty/Staff Help Desk Located?
- The Shippensburg University Faculty/Staff Help Desk is part of the Computing Technologies Center and is located in MCT 071 on the first floor of the Mathematics and Computing Technologies Center.
- * What is the phone number to the Faculty/Staff Help Desk?
- - On-campus phone: Dial extension 4357 and choose Option 2
- - Off-campus phones & cell phones: Dial (717)-477-4357 and choose Option 2
- - A Faculty/Staff Help Desk Support Technician will answer the call during business hours.
- - Users calling in after hours will need to leave a detailed message that includes their name, a phone number where they can be reached, and a brief description of the issue.
- * What is the e-mail address for the Faculty/Staff Help Desk?
- - The Shippensburg Faculty/Staff Help Desk e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- - This e-mail address is checked multiple times throughout the day even over the summer months.
- * When is the Faculty/Staff Help Desk open?
- The Shippensburg Faculty/Staff Help Desk is open Monday through Friday during the week. The hours are as follows:
Monday 7:00am - 5:00pm Tuesday 7:00am - 5:00pm Wednesday 7:00am - 5:00pm Thursday 7:00am - 5:00pm Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm Saturday Closed Sunday Closed
- * What type of e-mail system is used on campus?
- - On-campus PC machines use Microsoft Outlook.
- - On-campus Mac machines use Microsoft Outlook.
- - Off-campus machines use Outlook Web Access by going to https://mail.ship.edu and logging in with your University credentials.
- - Off-campus machines may also use Outlook Anywhere if Microsoft Office version 2007 or later is installed. See the Outlook Anywhere Setup Guide for more information.
- * How do I access e-mail from home or a computer off-campus?
- * How do I change my password?
- 1. Open Internet Explorer on your computer.
- 2. Browse to http://password.ship.edu
- 3. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password
- 4. Click here for password requirements (also found on the password
- - 8 character minimum length
- - Must include 3 of the following 4 categories:
- 1. Uppercase Letters
- 2. Lowercase Letters
- 3. Numbers
- 4. Special Characters
- - Password CANNOT have part of your name or id
- * How can I e-mail my entire class?
- 1. Open Internet Explorer with your on-campus computer.
- 2. Log into the Faculty Information System ( http://info.ship.edu)
- 3. Select the option to e-mail your entire class
- 4. Your computer will automatically launch your e-mail program
- 5. Compose your message and click "Send" to mail it to your entire
- * How can I e-mail a larger list of people?
- - The size limit for a distribution list is 160 addresses. If your
intended audience is more than 160, it is recommended that
different methods are used such as a personal website posting,
blackboard, FACT newsletter, or a direct mailing.
- - When sending an e-mail to a list smaller than 160 addresses, you
can follow these steps:
- 1. Type our name in the "To:" field
- 2. List your recipients' names in the "BCC:" field (you may
need to click the "arrow" to the right of the "Options"
button to get the "BCC:" field to appear if you do not
- 3. This method will allow only you (the sender) to see replies
to the message, even if "Reply All" is mistakenly used.
- * How do I access junk messages and SPAM filter settings?
- - By default, suspected SPAM messages are quarantined automatically
- - You can access your SPAM settings by browsing to https://barracuda.ship.edu/
- * Why do I receive messages from people that I haven't sent e-mail
to stating that I sent them infected e-mails?
- - Viruses and spammers forge "From:" addresses with an address
pulled from a victims contact list.
- - Therefore, your machine is most likely not infected.
- - Since these types of infections are usually not found in
University-owned machines, there is nothing we can do to stop
your address from being forged on the infected machine.
- - If you are unsure if your machine has an active infection, please
contact us: email@example.com or x4357
Network File Storage Questions
- * How do I access my network files from my office computer
- Method 1
- 1. Open "My Computer"
- 2. Double-click the "T:\ drive"
- 3. Drag and drop files to the T:\ drive
- Method 2
- 1. Open your "My Documents" folder
- 2. Open the "My Network Documents folder"
- 3. Drag and drop files to the "My Network Documents" folder
- * How do I access my network files from another computer
- 1. Log on to any network-connected PC on campus using your
- 2. Open "My Computer"
- 3. Double-click the T:\ drive
- 4. Access your network storage files
- * How do I access my network files from my home computer
- 1. Open Internet Explorer
- 2. In the address bar, type: https://anchor.ship.edu
- 3. You will be prompted for your login information
- 4. Enter your Ship email address and password
- 5. Click "OK"
- 6. Click on the + next to S-Drive or T-Drive to expand the folders
- 7. Access your network files
- * What types of files can I store in my network storage?
- - Any business-related data files
- - Storing personal data is not supported
- * How much space do I have to store items in network storage?
- - Each faculty/staff member is given 20GB worth of network storage
- - You will see a warning message when your file space becomes full
- - If you receive the message, you will need to cleanup your files to
create more space for saving additional files
- * How do I check to see the space I am currently using in network
- Method 1
- 1. Open "Computer"
- 2. Click once on your "T:\ drive"
- 3. Directly below the drive name, you will see the space available
- Method 2
- 1. Open "Computer"
- 2. Double-click your "T:\ drive"
- 3. Click the "Edit" Menu
- 4. Click "Select All"
- 5. Right-Click on any one of the files
- 6. Click "Properties"
- 7. View the size to see how much space you are using
- * How secure are the files I store on the network?
- - No faculty, staff, or students have access to the files on your
network space UNLESS you allow them access to a machine that
you are currently logged on to.
- - To prevent this from happening, ensure that you log off a computer
when you are finished using it.
- - Only you can access your files from off-campus due to the
requirement of your individual University-provided login
- * Are my files in network storage backed up automatically?
- - All files in network storage are backed up by the CTC
- - The server runs backups daily to ensure data is restored if
- - You may always take additional steps to back up your data to
your personal devices such as a USB drive, CD,-R/DVD-R or
portable hard drive. However, these files will be accessible
to anyone who may be using the device.
- * How do I print exactly what I see on my computer monitor?
- 1. Ensure that you have everything you would like to print on you computer screen
- 2. Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard
- 3. Your screen should print to your default printer
- 4. If it does not, try the following methods:
- Method 1:
- 1. Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard
- 2. Open Microsoft Word, or Microsoft Paint (either will work
- 3. Click on "Edit" at the top of the program, and select "Paste"
- 4. Click on "File" at the top of the program and select "Print"
- Method 2:
- 1. Click on "Start"
- 2. In the search box, type in "U:\NETAPPS\PrintKey
- 3. In the window that opens, double-click "PrintKey20"
- 4. Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard
- 5. Click "Print" from the PrintKey20 window
- * How do I print labels?
- 1. Open a new document in Microsoft Word
- 2. Click "Mailings" on the menu bar
- 3. Click "Start Mail Merge" on the panel
- 4. Click "Labels" from the drop-down list
- 5. Choose the label type/manufacturer and product number
- 6. Click "Ok"
- 7. Click "Start Mail Merge" on the panel
- 8. Click "Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard"
- 9. Click "Labels"
- 10. Click "Next: Starting Document" at the bottom of the wizard
- 11. "Use the current document"
- 12. Click "Next: Select recipients" at the bottom of the wizard
- 13. Click "Use an existing list"
- 14. Click "Browse"
- 15. Browse to the file from which you would like to make labels
- 16. Select the file and click "Open"
- 17. Choose the second file in the "Select Table" window and click "Ok"
- 18. The Mail merge recipients box appears
- 19. Click "Ok"
- 20. Click "Next: Arrange your labels" at the bottom of the wizard
- 21. Click "Address block..."
- 22. The "Insert Address Block" window appears
- 23. Click the "Match Fields" button
- 24. Choose names to correspond to your mail merge information
- 25. Click "Ok"
- 26. Click "Ok"
- 27. Click "Update all labels" in the wizard
- 28. Click the "Next: Preview your labels" at the bottom of the wizard
- 29. Click the "Next: Complete the merge" at the bottom of the wizard
- 30. Place your labels in the printer tray (ensure they are placed correctly)
- 31. Click "Print"
- 32. Save your file if you would like to use it in the future
- * How do I place/restore an icon to my desktop?
- 1. Click "Start"
- 2. View "Programs" or "All Programs"
- 3. Right-click on the program you would like to place on your desktop
- 4. Click "Copy"
- 5. Right-click on your desktop
- 6. Click "Paste"
- 7. There will now be an icon on your desktop for this program
- 8. Double-click the new icon to open the program
- * How do I change the way my desktop looks?
- 1. Right-click on the "Start" button
- 2. Click "Properties"
- 3. Ensure you are on the "Start Menu" tab
- 4. Select "Classic Start Menu"
- 5. Click "Ok"
- * How do I log on to the Shippensburg Network?
- 1. Restart your work computer
- 2. Enter your University-provided user id into the login box
- 3. Enter your password
- 4. You should be able to access the network drives (S:\, T:\, U:\)
- - If you are unable to log on to the network:
- 1. Check to see if the network cable is plugged securely into the wall
- 2. Check to ensure that the network cable is plugged securely into
the back of your computer and the lights next to the plug are blinking.
- * How do I purchase a copy of Microsoft Office?
- - All SU-owned computers have Microsoft Office 2010 or 2013 (for PC) or 2011 (for Mac) already installed
- - Microsoft Office 2011 Professional Edition(for Mac) and 2013 (for PC) are available for purchase at the Bookstore for home use by Faculty and Staff (SUID required).
- * How do I install newer versions of softare?
- - A Help Desk Technician will be able to install software updates
- - Please contact the Faculty/Staff Help Desk to schedule an appointment