Teacher Certification Criminal Background Check Information
A guide for Shippensburg University Teacher Certification candidates - Background Check Guide
Required Clearances for All Field Experiences
Currently valid copies of the following 6 items must be on file in the appropriate office each semester before any student enters any public school representing Shippensburg University.
1. TB Results (PPD Mantoux test now required)
– valid for two years from date of test. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Available through Etters Health Center. See schedule athttp://www.ship.edu/COEHS/Field_Services/Clearance_Information/
2. Act 34 Criminal History Check
– Act 34 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. (Register at https://epatch.state.pa.us
3. Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance
– Act 151 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. (Form available at http://www.dhs.state.pa.us/
4. Act 114 FBI Clearance
– Act 114 is valid as long as a student is continuously enrolled as a student at Shippensburg University. (Register at http://www.pa.cogentid.com
5. Professional Liability Insurance
– Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Student membership in PSEA (http://www.PSEA.org
) or KEYTA (http://keyta.org
) provides this insurance but membership is not mandatory. Insurance is mandatory.
6. Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report
- must be signed each year. (Form available in SPH 354 or at Arrest and Conviction Report Form
ATTENTION: Student Teachers – TB test (2015-2016)
Tuberculosis (TB) testing times are listed below. Please call the health center to schedule your TB test during one of the available times. During your appointment for a test placement, you will also need to schedule a follow-up appointment 48-72 hours later for a nurse to interpret and record the result. If you do not attend the test reading component of this process, the test will need to be repeated and you will be charged a $20 fee for the repeat test.
TB Testing Days: Tuesday & Wednesday while classes are in session
TB Testing Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: On Adams Drive at the Wellness
Center (McLean Hall II, Ground Level Floor)