Welcome to the Department of Communication/Journalism
The Communication/Journalism Department at Shippensburg University is one of 108 programs accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC). It is the only accredited mass communication/journalism program in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
Our primary mission is to prepare well-rounded graduates to be future professionals in the converging fields of mass media.
- Our nationally accredited undergraduate program leads to a bachelor of arts degree in communication/journalism with three specific emphases — Print Media, Electronic Media and Public Relations.
- Our graduate program in Communications Studies focuses on those planning to enhance careers in communications and public relations. The program also provides individuals with a strong base for pursuing doctoral-level study.
Students enrolling in our accredited undergraduate program will:
- Receive a cost effective bachelor of arts degree in communication/journalism
- Be able to join diverse student-run media groups with state-of-the-art technology
- Benefit from a strong core of faculty with professional experience
C/J Voices: Stories from the Communication/Journalism Family
C/J Voices is a new video series in which students, alumni, faculty and friends tell in their own words what makes the Communication/Journalism Department at Shippensburg University so special to them.
This week, Aliyah Smith, senior and entertainment producer at SUTV, talks about her presentation at the WILL Conference (Women's Institute of Leadership and Learning). Several student groups from COM424: Women and the Media presented at the event.
Watch More Videos:
New Faculty Member joining Department
March 13, 2013
The Communication/Journalism Department is pleased to announce Prof. June Yung Kim was recently hired to the position of Assistant Professor. Kim will be joining the faculty in August 2013. She is currently a public relations professor in the College of Journalism and Communication at the University of Florida, where she is completing her doctoral program. In addition to teaching several courses, Kim is also an experienced researcher, completing four international conference papers.
Kim has a Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Chung-Ang University in Seoul, Korea, and earned a Masters in Communication from the College of Communication at Florida State University.
Kim said that the Communication/Journalism Department provides "an excellent environment to instill in students a love of learning and to train them as well-qualified public relations professionals."
Welcome to Shippensburg Prof. Kim.