HCS385 - Resolving Conflict Through Communication - Dr. Knight
Research guide for Article Presentation.
Find an article in a popular magazine (pamphlets, websites, newsletters, etc. do not count) which addresses conflict resolution,
Find a scholarly article (from within the field of Human Communication Studies) which addresses the type of conflict resolution described in the popular article above,
Write a 2 page summary for each of these articles,
Submit a copy of each article with its summary,
Prepare and present an extemporaneous verbal presentation.
Research Process Overview
Answer these questions:
- What are you interested in?
- What human communication studies angles tie into these interests?
- Where can I find articles which are acceptable to Dr. Knight?
- What Ship Library resources are available to me?
General Guide to Ship Human Communication Studies Resources
Popular Article Resources
Make sure you use a "legitimate" popular magazine, not Joe/Jane Blogger or other unapproved resources.
- Academic Search Complete (includes broad, cross-disciplinary subject indexing of popular & scholarly literature)
- Direct links to magazine titles
Scholarly Article Resources
There are two ways to do this, 1. start with a specific journal and search it, or 2. start in a Human Communication-related database and pay attention to the journal(s) in which you find relevant results.
1. Search the popular press for topics
2. Explore scholarly literature about conflict resolution
Google Scholar is another source you might use to narrow your topic; if you use Google Scholar from on-campus you will automatically have access to library resources when they are available in your results set. If you use Google Scholar from off-campus, you should select Shippensburg University within the library links section in Scholar preferences to access these resources.
About Related Databases