Copies of ALL Clearances must be submitted to the Office of Field Experiences & Partnerships prior to admittance in schools
Teacher Certification Criminal Background Check Information
A guide for Shippensburg University Teacher Certification candidates - Background Check Guide
Required Clearances for All Field Experiences
Currently valid copies of the following 6 items must be on file in the Teacher Education office (SPH 214) each semester before any student enters any public school representing Shippensburg University.
1. TB Results (PPD Mantoux test now required)
– valid for two years from date of test. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Available through Etters Health Center. See schedule athttp://www.ship.edu/COEHS/Field_Services/Clearance_Information/
2. Act 34 Criminal History Check
– Act 34 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. (Register at https://epatch.state.pa.us
3. Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance
– Act 151 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. (Form available at http://www.dpw.state.pa.us
4. Act 114 FBI Clearance
– Act 114 is valid as long as a student is continuously enrolled as a student at Shippensburg University. (Register at http://www.pa.cogentid.com
5. Professional Liability Insurance
– Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Student membership in PSEA (http://www.PSEA.org
) or KEYTA (http://keyta.org
) provides this insurance but membership is not mandatory. Insurance is mandatory.
6. Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report
- must be signed each year. (Form available in SPH 354 or at Arrest and Conviction Report Form
ATTENTION: Student Teachers – TB test
State law makes it mandatory that all student teachers undergo a tuberculosis test and be adjudged free of this disease before beginning student teaching.
The test is applied by an intradermal injection instead of the 4 prong Tine test. Since this test requires more time to administer, the following days and times will be available to have the test done.
Etter Health Clinic Dates: March 13, 2012, April 3, 2012, August 28, 2012, September 4, 2012, October 2, 2012, November 6, 2012, December 4, 2012, January 29, 2013, February 5, 2013, March 5, 2013, April 2, 2013 and May 7, 2013
(Time for all dates: 3:30 – 7:30 PM)
IF STUDENT UNDERGO TESTING ON DAYS AND TIMES OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED ABOVE, THERE WILL BE A $15 FEE APPLIED
Persons applying to student teach must either submit a currently valid clearance for tuberculosis at the Office of Field Experiences & Partnerships (355 Shippen), or be cleared by the University Phsyician by the end of the semester at the Dispensary through procedures described above. All clearance certificates must be presented to the Office of Field Experiences & Partnerships where the results will be recorded as a permanent record; otherwise permission to student teach must be withheld.