Frequently Asked QuestionsRandom Campus Images

 Program Progress 

  • How do I know if I am on track toward graduation?  
    • You should consult your academic advisor. Print out your academic record and your program checklist (see "Academics" and then "Resources" on the Ship website for the Academic Planning Guide, which contains all the major advising guides).
    • You should also review your Degree Audit, which is accessible through the MyShip portal. To access your Degree Audit follow these steps:
      • Log into myShip.
      • Select the Student tab.
      • Select My Academics.
      • My Student Resources
      • My Degree Audit
      • You will have to log into Degree Audit with your SU log in information.
  • Do you have a form to help me?  

Withdrawal from a Class

  • How do I withdraw from a class?  
    • You can withdraw from a class online through the mySHIP.  If you are a first-year student, and want to withdraw from a required class, or if withdrawing would take you below 12 credits, you will not be able to withdraw online.  Please visit or call the Associate Dean's office.  It is the student's resposibility to insure that the course has been dropped from their schedule.
    • You MAY NOT withdraw from a class after the deadline (see the Registrar's page for current semester information and important deadlines).
    • If you have a valid medical reason to withdraw after the deadline, you must contact the Associate Dean's office and have documentation from a licensed professional.  The withdrawal must be for ALL CLASSES, and the request and documentation must come BEFORE CLASSES end for the current semester.  No retroactive withdrawals can be honored once classes are over.
    • To withdraw from a Summer Course, please visit the Professional, Continuing & Distance Education (formerly Extended Studies) website ( for more information or to complete the PCDE Withdrawal Form located on the right-hand side under PCDE Contact Info.

Withdrawal from the University

  • What should I do if I do not intend on returning to SHIP next semester?  How do I withdraw from the University?  
    • If you do not intend to return to SHIP, you should contact the Associate Dean's Office to withdraw from the University, students must come to the Associate Dean's office of the College of Education and Human Services (Shippen Hall, Room 356, 3rd floor) to complete the necessary paperwork.  A withdrawal from college/leave of absence request form is located on the College of Education and Human Services website under the Student Resources page.  Look under Student Forms.  

Leave of Absence/Absence from Class

  • What is the difference between a Leave of Absence and an Absence from Class?
    • Leave of Absence is taking a semester off, up to a year. Absence from Class is an absence if you are sick or going to miss a couple days.
  • How do I take a Leave of Absence?
    • To apply for a Leave of Absence, you must have at least a 2.0 overall GPA and no holds on your record.  (For more information please see Withdrawal from the University, above.) 
  • What do I do if I must be absent for more than a class or two?  
    • Notify your professors via email or phone (as a courtesy) the day(s) that you will not be present and indicate the reason for the absence.
    • Contact the College of Education and Human Services at 717-477-1141 if you must be absent from all of your classes or for an extended period.  You will need to provide appropriate documentation to our office.  We will notify faculty of your absence (Students should notify faculty members as a courtesy via email or a phone call).  It is the student's responsibility to work with faculty to make up allowed work.  See the faculty member's syllabus for attendance policies.  
    • Each instructor shall state the course requirements including attendance expectations as a part of the clearly written course information distributed at the beginning of each semester.  An instructor must make provision for excused absences.  However, if you elect to be absent from a class without being excused, you must be prepared to accept an evaluation for any graded activity, consistent with course requirements, which takes place at that session.  You will be held responsible for all material covered in classes.  Only when an absence has been approved by the instruction, preferably in advance, will the instructor be expected to provide a makeup opportunity.  Except under the most unusual circumstances, you are not permitted to make up a scheduled examination that has been missed.

Change of Major and/or Minor

  • How do I declare or change a Major or Minor?  
    • For more information on how to declare a major or minor, please visit the Registrar's Page to print a change of major/minor form. Note: You must obtain the signatures of the major and minor department before submission to the Associate Dean's Office (SPH356).   Please review the requirements to change your major prior to completing this form.

Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory (Pass/Fail) Option

What is the Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory (Pass/Fail) Option?  

  • The grades S and U are used for courses which are taken under the satisfactory-unsatisfactory option.  If you have completed at least one academic year (30 semester hours) at Shippensburg University and are maintaining a cumulative QPA  of 2.5 or better, you may schedule up to a maximum of three credits (or one four credit course) per semester under the satisfactory-unsatisfactory option. Under this option, grades from satisfactory-unsatisfactory courses will not be used in determining the cumulative grade point average.
  • If you receive grades of "C" or better, an "S" will be recorded on your transcript and credits will be counted toward graduation.  However, grades of "D" or "F" will result in a "U" and no credit will be given.  
  • You may not schedule the five required general education courses under this option (ENG 101/106, HCS 100, HIS 105, or HIS 106). 
  • Courses required by your major or minor may not be taken under this option.

When is the deadline for choosing the Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory (Pass/Fail) Option?  

  • You may adopt or rescind the satisfactory-unsatisfactory option during the first two weeks of the regular fall or spring semester (14 calendar days).  No changes will be made after this deadline.  Only full-time students are eligible.  You must visit the Registrar's Office to request this option. 
  • The maximum number of credits you may schedule under the satisfactory-unsatisfactory option while attending Shippensburg University will not exceed ten.  

Transfer Courses:

  • How will my course transfer to Shippensburg University from my other institution? 




Congratulations to the Criminal Justice Department for gaining Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) certification!

Ship's First Doctoral Degree Program is in the College of Education and Human Services! Find out more about the doctorate in educational leadership here.


Academic Calendar