PLS231 - State and Local Government - Prof. Greenberg
This library session has been prepared to assist you in finding research materials relevant to specific public policies in particular state governements. Completion of the library assignment in today's class is a part of your grade for the abstract of your Institutions and Public Policy project.
1. Background Information
- Stateline.org - this website provides a daily compilation of state news produced by Stateline.org's staff as well as newspapers and other sources around the country. It is funded by the Pew Research Center.
- Law Library of Congress. Guide to Law Online - U.S. States and Territories - This well organized directory produced by the Law Library of the Library of Congress, provides extensive coverage for each state in the union, including links to state constitutions and laws, and provides sections for each of the branches of government, including the websites for each legislature.
- The Book of the States. Council of State Governments, 1945 - present - Ref. JK2403 .B6 - Sample Pages - This annual printed publication includes a wide array of articles and statistical tables on all aspects of state government. It has been issued since 1945, so it is possible to check earlier volumes for additional information. Currently, this set is temporarily shelved on a book cart in Reference Room 115.
2. Article Databases
3. Some Individual State Government Periodicals
4. Finding Statistical Information