English (Writing) Placement Testing
About the English (Writing) Placement Test
- The English (Writing) Placement Test is required for first-year students whose English SAT sub-score is ≤ 25
- The English Placement is required for first-year students whose ACT - English Sections was ≤ 18.
- The English Placement Test involves writing a general knowledge essay and assesses your ability to write.
- You do not need to make any special preparation for this essay.
- You will have the opportunity to create outlines, maps, or rough drafts.
- The test is untimed but should NOT take any longer than 60-90 minutes
- Only your final copy will be evaluated.
- There are two courses you can be placed into, both of which are counted as credits toward graduation: (1) Intro to Academic Writing (ENG 113) and (3) Writing Intensive First Year Seminar (ENG 114).
- Advanced writers may be invited to enroll in Advanced Writing (ENG115).
- SAT or ACT Scores cannot be older than 2 years old
Review for English (Writing) Placement Test
See the English department’s website for recommendations and a video (also displayed below) on how to review for the English Placement Test.
- Math Placement Test
- English Placement Test
- Reading Challenge Test
- Placement Testing Procedures
- Transfer Students
- Alternate Testing Sites
- Register for Placement Testing
- Options After Placement Testing
- Waiver Exam
- Optional Math Testing
- Placement Testing Forms
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- Proctoring Services
- Additional Resources
- Campus Map