ByLaws of the Shippensburg University Women's Consortium
Adopted April 21,
1998 - Revised April 28, 2008
Article I: Name
The name of the organization shall be the Shippensburg
University Women’s Consortium, an affiliate of the Pennsylvania State System of
Higher Education Women’s Consortium.
Article II: Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of the Women’s Consortium is to enhance the
status of women at Shippensburg University.
Four objectives will serve to achieve the purpose:
disseminate information about women’s issues and concerns.
sponsor activities to enhance the status of all women.
- To promote professional development
opportunities for all women.
- To promote and maintain a networking system for
Article III - Membership
Members will include:undergraduate and graduate students as well as active and retired women
administrators, faculty and staff of Shippensburg University, and partners of
- Membership will be contingent upon payment of
- Membership year will extend from September
are eligible to vote, hold office and serve on committees.
Article IV - Officers
The Women’s Consortium of Shippensburg University will be
governed by an Executive Committee consisting of a President and
Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications Coordinator, the Director of
the Women’s Center, and a representative from Women’s Studies.
Election of Officers
Officers shall be elected annually by the
membership. The nominating committee
shall solicit nominations prior to May 1 with elections to take place before
May 30. The nominees for each office
receiving the majority vote of ballots returned shall be elected. President ,
Vice President, and Communications Coordinator are elected during
odd-numbered years (2009, 2011, etc.) and Secretary and Treasurer are elected
during even-numbered years (2008, 2010, etc.).
Term of Office
The term of office for the members of the Executive
Committee will extend from May to May.
Officers shall serve for a two-year term.
In the event that an officer resigns prior to the end of
the term, the President, in consultation with the Executive Committee, shall
appoint a replacement. Should the
President resign, his/her duties will be assumed by the Vice-President.
Officers and Their Respective Duties
These officers shall perform the duties pertaining to
their respective offices as outlined by the membership.
The President shall assume a
leadership role. He/she shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the membership, the
Executive Committee, and any special meetings he/she may call.
- Maintain order.
- Explain and describe all questions of order.
- Prepare and distribute an agenda for each
- Appoint committee chairpersons.
- Appoint an interim chair for committees, when
Serve as campus contact representing the
membership on all official matters conducted by the Women’s Consortium of the
State System of Higher Education.
The Vice-President shall:
- Provide and perform the duties of the
President in his/her absence.
- Serve on the Executive Committee.
- Serve as President of the membership committee.
- Assist the President in any other duties that
may be assigned to him/her.
- Plan and facilitate all fundraising activities.
The Secretary shall:
- Record and distribute minutes of the business
- Summarize minutes of the previous meeting.
- Take attendance of the membership.
- Handle all correspondence for the membership
unless otherwise specified.
- Preside and perform the duties of the President
in the absence of the President and the Vice-President.
The Treasurer shall:
- Receive and deposit all funds and special contributions.
- Verify appropriate expenditures.
- Issue payment for approved bills.
- Maintain accurate records of all financial
- Prepare and distribute financial statements at
all regularly-scheduled meetings of the membership.
- Maintain a membership roster and encourage
The Communications Coordinator
the Women’s Consortium e-mail list.
- Maintain a visual record of all activities and
Article V - Standing Committees
Section 1. Executive
To serve as a long-range planning committee—design, implement, and
evaluate goals, objectives, and activities for the Women’s Consortium of
Committee will meet at least twice each semester.
- The Committee will offer a retreat each Spring
to develop a plan (goals, objectives, and activities) for the following year.
Article VI - Meetings
full membership shall meet at least once each semester.
tentative agenda shall be included with the notice of the meetings.
business to be conducted by a majority vote of the membership present.
Article VII - Special Committees
With the consent of the Executive Committee, the
President may appoint Special Committees, as appropriate.
Article VIII - Procedures
Except as provided herein, all proceedings of the Women’s
Consortium of Shippensburg University shall be governed by the latest edition
of Robert’s Rules of Order.
Article IX - Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the
membership at a regularly-scheduled meeting.
Notice of such proposed amendments must be sent to each member thirty
days in advance of consideration and approval.
Women's Consortium ByLaws