1. Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant F-1 Student Status)
International students planning to study at Shippensburg University are required to submit the appropriate documents in order to be issued a Form I-20. These documents include:
- An Admission Application forInternational Studentsand the non-refundable $45 Application Fee
- Transcripts from your previous academic institution(s)
- Note: Undergraduate and Graduate applicants must submit official copies of all academic records from the secondary (and post-secondary, if applicable) school.This is required if you are from a country whereEnglish is not the official language of instruction.official transcripts must be sent directlyto anInternational Credential Evaluator for evaluation purposes. Shippensburg University accepts credentials that areevaluated by World Education Services (WES - www.wes.org), Educational CredentialEvaluators (ECE - www.ece.org), or a NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluating Services)recognizedevaluating entity.Examples of these entities can be found by visitingthe NACES web link.
- Documentation of financial support for one full academic year including:
- Shippensburg UniversityStatement of Financial Support
- Bank statement from sponsor demonstrating available funds
- Verification of sponsor's income
- Once an applicant has been admitted they must then make aNON-REFUNDABLEI-20/Enrollment Confirmation Depositof $100.00. This deposit will be used for your enrollment confirmation and for the processing and delivery of your I-20 form. The deposit is payable to "Shippensburg University" and will confirm the intention of the student to become a matriculated student. Once you have submitted yourI-20/Enrollment Confirmation Deposit, your I-20 form will be created and mailed via United States Postal Service (USPS) Express International to you along with your visa instructions and acceptance packet. You will not be mailed an I-20 until you make your confirmation deposit.
Applying for an F-1 Student Visa in your Home Country
Now that you have been academically admitted and submitted your NON-REFUNDABLE I-20/Enrollment Confirmation Deposit, you should have received your Form I-20 from Shippensburg University.You must now use your Acceptance Letter and Form I-20 toapply for anF-1 Student Visa in your home country. You must travel to a United States Consulate or Embassy in order to do this. The following documents should be taken with you when you apply:
- A valid passport
- Form I-20 from Shippensburg University
- Financial documentation indicating your ability to support yourself while in the United States. Examples include a Statement of Financial Support from your sponsor, bank statement and/or letters indicating that you have been awarded a scholarship.
- Documentation demonstrating your intent to return to your home country once your degree is complete. Examples include family property ownership, bank accounts, a job offer upon completion of your degree, etc.
Additional documents could be required. Country specific processing guidance can be accessed at:http://www.usembassy.gov/and you are encouraged to check this website for information relevant to your country of residence visa requirements.
***Students are also required to pay the SEVIS 901 fee which is $200. Additional information can be found at: https://www.fmjfee.com. The fee must be paid prior to applying for the F-1 visa.***