Academic advising at Shippensburg University is a joint endeavor that complements the educational goals of the university by working with and empowering students to obtain appropriate academic information, to develop educational and career goals, to learn the skills needed for academic success, and to access the variety of resources and services available to them.
The advising mission statement emphasizes three essentials of quality advising:
- Advising is a partnership in which the student and the advisor have responsibilities.
- Advising is a process to assist students in the development of meaningful educational plans that are compatible with their life goals.
- Advising is at the heart of the teaching-learning interaction in which the primary goal is to empower the student to take responsibility for his or her decisions and actions.
Good advising programs do not just happen. They are the result of carefully developed institutional plans and commitments to improving advising service for students (Noel-Levitz). Therefore, the SHIP Advising Development Program is modeled after the core values, standards and guidelines established by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) and the Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS).
The objectives of the SHIP Advising Development Program are:
- To educate students about the value and benefits of academic advising and their role in the process; and,
- To ensure that the faculty advisors at SHIP have the training and resources needed to be effective advisors and to provide them with access to timely and accurate information that supports their advising function.
The Advisor Development & Resource Team (ADRT) serves as a coordinating body for the Advising Development Program. All academic departments are encouraged to designate a faculty advisor and colleges are encouraged to recommend student representatives to serve on the team. If you are interested in serving on the ADRT, contact your department chair or dean.
Academic Advising Working together to insure the success of Shippensburg University, its students and faculty!