Your Resume = Your Advertising Tool
As you think about your resume, you should consider the following:
- Whatis the most important information you wantto communicate to prospective employers?
- What will you "advertise" about yourself that will make them want to interview you?
Your goal on your resume is to communicate your skills, experience, and knowledge in a way that will attract the employer's attention enough to invite you for an interview.
Important Information to Include:
- Concise "summary of you" that includes number of years of experience and strongest skills and abilities
- Relevant work experience that connects to your career goals
- Keywords that describe your skills and abilities
- Education and related training information
- Computer skills
- Accomplishments to demonstrate past successes in the workplace
Other Important Points:
- Be sure to list work experience in an easy-to-read format
- One or Two Pages? If you have enough relevant information to fill two pages, write two pages. If not, write one page. Keep in mind that resumes are skimmed, not read. You want your most important information to shine!