Cover Letters and Written Correspondence
This information provides a brief overview on cover letters and written correspondence. For additional information on cover letters, visit the Career Center during Walk-In Hours or call to schedule an appointment.
Cover letters may also be referred to as:
Letter of Interest
Letter of Intent
Cover Letters Workshop Now Available Online!
The Career Center offers a variety of career-related workshops online, available at your convenience. Online sessions are viewed with Windows Media Video. To view this workshop, your speakers must be turned on and you must have access to Windows Media Video (.mmv files).
Samples of Standard Job Application/Inquiry Letters [PDFs]
Samples of Follow-Up Correspondence (After the Interview) [PDFs]
Note: These sample letters [PDFs] are for reference only. Any written correspondence you create must be written in your own words and tailored to the employer and/or position for which you are applying.
Thank You Letters
- Thank you letters are one of the most important (but least utilized) tools used in the job search process.
- Anyone who helped you with the job search process should receive a thank you.
- Thank you letters should be sent within 1-3 days after the interview.
- The thank you letter is a great time to re-emphasize your strongest assets/qualifications as they relate to the position. This is also a way to express or reiterate something you feel is important yet wasn't conveyed strongly enough during your interview.
- Remind them in the letter the best way to follow up (include telephone number/email address.)
- Restate your interest in the position and thank them again for the opportunity to interview.
For a full list of events, please see our calendar in Ship Career Connection.
JOB SEARCH BOOT CAMP: Basic Training for New Graduates
Thursday, December 10th, 1-4 PM, CUB 108
RSVP in SHIP Career Connection- "Events" then "Workshops"
Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm
Call to schedule an appt.
Mondays, 2-6 pm
Wednesdays, 2-4 pm
Additional extended hours available by request.