Public Relations at Shippensburg University
Students in the public relations professional emphasis prepare for careers working in media relations, public affairs and digital communications. The department offers a wide range of classes that not only teach students how to create campaigns and strategic communication plans, but also how to use social media effectively in the business world. Students have the opportunity to get involved in student media groups, including the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). PRSSA is a network of more than 11,000 students across the nation who study and practice public relations. By joining Shippensburg University's PRSSA chapter, students can gain experience with real clients in the business world.
A Master of Science degree in communication studies with a professional track in strategic public relations and digital media is offered for anyone who is looking to further his or her education in the theoretical and practical aspects of mass communication. The strategic public relations track further prepares students for a career in public relations by teaching them advanced skills in the field and working with real world clients.
- To act as a group and offer internship opportunities primarily to Communication/Journalism students from diverse backgrounds, and also to offer mentoring and networking with students from other disciples with an interest in the communication professions.
- To foster dialogue about diversity issues.
- To participate in multicultural recruitment.
- To establish stronger partnerships between student media groups and campus organizations.
- To offer a platform for COmmunication/Journalism students to network with one another beyond their years at Shippensburg University