Dr. William (Turi) Braun, associate professor, Department of Exercise Science, received the Faculty of the Year Award at the Scholar-Athlete and Faculty/Staff luncheon.

Dr. Ford Brooks, professor and interim chair, Department of Counseling and College Student Personnel, was invited to share his expertise on addictions and counseling in Counseling Today's article, "Hidden in Plain Sight."

Dr. George F. "Jody" Harpster was named the 16th president of Shippensburg University. Dr. Harpster earned his Master's of Science degree in Counseling and College Student Personnel Administration from the College of Education and Human Services.                                           

Ship's First Doctoral Degree Program is in the College of Education and Human Services! Find out more about the doctorate in educational leadership here.

MSW Graduates -- score above the national average, Graduate students from the joint Shippensburg & Millersville University MSW program, pass the licensure exam at a rate above the national average. Find out more about the Department of Social Work and Gerontology here.

Dr. Michele Bratina, assistant professor of criminal justice, had her manuscript titled "Latino Attitudes toward Violence: The Effect of Americanization" published in the Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice. 

Dr. Sally Paulson, associate professor of exercise science, presented research on the importance of maintaining muscle strength later in life during the National strength and conditioning association’s (NSCA) national conference.

REMINDER: February 10 is the deadline for major changes for high demand majors

spacer image

College of Education and Human Services

Shippen Hall (352-360)
Shippensburg University
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania 17257

Fax 717-477-4012 
General Email address:  

spacer image


Would you like to know if you are making sufficient progress towards earning your degree? Simply follow the instructions below to complete your own graduation check sheet!

Student Undergraduate Graduation Check 

  1. Login to Self-Service Banner (SSB), , go to “Student,” “Student Records,” “Academic Transcript,” and access the unofficial transcript.
  2. Compare the courses that you have successfully completed with the student program planning sheets found on the College of Education and Human Services website under the “Student Resources” tab and your major  
  3. Check off all courses you have taken at Shippensburg, for which you have received a D or better (unless your program or specific courses require a C).  In addition, if you are transferring courses, be sure that each course is approved by your Advisor and the Registrar to be sure it meets the requirements of your program and confirm that it will be approved by Shippensburg University.  Also, be sure you have completed the Transcript Request form at the institution in which you took the course in order for Shippensburg University to receive confirmation of course completion.
  4. If you have any questions about the General Education (Categories of Knowledge) Requirements, see the University catalog, .
  5. DO NOT count Developmental Courses (Reading – RDG050, Math – MAT050, and English – ENG050) or courses you have repeated in your total credit count. (In repeated courses, the most recent attempt is the one that counts, regardless of the grade.) You will need a minimum of 120 credits, but Developmental Courses do not count in that total.
  6. You will need to maintain a certain overall QPA in your major.
      1. Teacher Certification/Teacher Education/Secondary Education: 3.0 QPA.
      2. Exercise Science: 2.75 QPA.
      3. Social Work: 2.5 QPA.*
      4. Criminal Justice: 2.0 QPA.

In order to calculate your QPA, see the following online calculator, or something similar: .

*For all transfer students:      

Credit Hours:

0-30 = 2.2
31-59 = 2.4
60+ = 2.5

If you have any questions, please contact your advisor.  If you are unsure as to whom your current advisor is, please log on to Self-Service Banner,, go to “Student,” “Student Records,” “View Student Information.”  If you and your advisor have a specific question about your particular situation and the two of you cannot resolve it, first contact your Department Chair. However, if the problem persists, please feel free to contact the office of the Dean of the College of Education and Human Services, Shippen Hall 356, 477-1141,