Protection Of Minors
Shippensburg University and Shippensburg University Foundation are committed to ensuring that all programs conducted on campus promote the health, wellness, safety and security of minors (under 18 years of age) who participate in the programs.
To that objectiive, and in order to ensure compliance with
Pennsylvania law and University policy, all conference groups are required to complete a “Certification of Compliance with Required Clearances” form, available through the Conference Services Office, or on-line at www.ship.edu/no_more. Through this form, conferences with minors attest that all required certifications have been performed, with satisfactory results, for all adults who will have direct contact, interact with, treat, supervise, chaperone, or otherwise oversee minors, and that they are trained annually in the recognition of child abuse indicators and related reporting requirements. The required certifications (background clearances) and authorizations in accordance with the law include:
- Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Department of Human Resources Child Abuse Clearance
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Backgroound Check including fingerprint verification
- Completed participant authorization forms for each participating minor (annual per conference)
In completing the form, each affected adult must be listed along with the date the most recent certifications were completed. Certifications expire after 60 months.
The conference organization will maintain records of clearances, authorizations, and training. The organization is also responsible for ensuring that all persons remain in good standing, and to update training annually.
Conferences that do not include minors must complete the “Certification of Compliance with Required Clearances” form and indicate via check box that there are no minors participating.
The “Certification of Compliance with Required Clearances” forms must be received by the Conference Services Office no later than 30 days prior to the conference start date.
The full University “Protection of Minors” policy, Conference Guide, Background Certification form and related Code of Conduct for Adults are accessible below.
Please click on a document title to download.
- 2016 Conference Guide
- 2016 SU Background Certification Form
- 2016 SU Minors on Campus Code of Conduct for Adults
- Shippensburg University Policy 302-00 Protection and Supervision of Minors on Campus and Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse
Suggested Training Resources
- Act 31 On-line Training - University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work