Welcome to Shippensburg University!
Welcome to Ship, a truly remarkable student-centered academic community, where words like scholarship … leadership … friendship … partnership … championship … citizenship … and internship define who we are and tell the story of our students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni, and regional partners. I am privileged to oversee this university and invite you to explore all that Ship has to offer by browsing through our website or viewing some of the links provided on this welcome page. You will discover that Ship has a special spirit, and you will see evidence of this on every web page. I am especially proud that:
- We are the first university in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education to offer Bachelor of Science degrees in two new high-demand areas — software engineering and computer engineering.
- We empower students to become active partners in planning their coursework and personal development opportunities. Through effective and innovative teaching methods and a wide variety of high-quality out-of-class experiences, our talented faculty members prove their dedication to intellectual development and creativity — and the future success of students.
- We instill in students an excitement for research and discovery, as well as a commitment to life-long learning, critical thinking, independent thought, problem solving and diversity, through our “signature” joint student-faculty research program. Students across all disciplines in each of the university’s three colleges (Arts & Sciences, John L. Grove College of Business, and Education and Human Services) work in collaboration with faculty mentors on a range of projects. Last year, more than 500 undergraduate and graduate students shared their innovative research activities at the annual Celebration of Student Research Conference.
- Our alumni are loyal and have made a lifetime investment in the university. This year, more than 950 alumni, friends and faculty participated in 31 events across the country — with 134 attending their first-ever alumni event!
- Ship’s student athletes are a mighty force — with 14 of Ship’s 20 intercollegiate teams participating in PSAC tournament competitions and five (more than one-third!) bringing home championships last year. Plus, nine teams represented Ship in NCAA championship competitions.
I hope you will visit campus soon and see for yourself why this university is your university for the 21st century!!
William N. Ruud, Ph.D.
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, PA 17257