Undergraduate Fall/Spring Registration
Preparing for Registration
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Don't wait until the last minute when your advisor may not be available. You will need to meet with your advisor to obtain your alternate PIN for registration. You will be unable to access Banner registration functionality without your alternate PIN for registration. You will only need to enter your alternate PIN for registration until you register for one class in a given semester. The evening of the day in which you register for at least one class, a process will be run to provide continued access to the registration functionality throughout the rest of your registration time ticket window. If you lose your alternate PIN for registration, you will have to contact your advisor or department office to obtain this PIN. If there is no one in the department office, you should contact your dean’s office.
To access current advisor information, log in to myShip at https://my.ship.edu and click on the Student tab and select My Academics. Under My Student Resources, click on "My Advisor". Use the faculty directory to look up contact information for your primary advisor. If you do not have an advisor, please contact your department office or dean’s office.
- Check for holds. If a hold has been placed on your record, the appropriate office must clear the hold from your record before you will be permitted to register.
To check to see if you have any holds, log into myShip at https://my.ship.edu/ and click on the Student tab and select My Academics. Under Registration Tools, click on the Check Holds link to view any holds you may have.
- Check course requirements. Read the university catalog for any special requirements or prerequisites. Review the courses being offered during the term. DO NOT schedule courses for which you do not have the necessary pre-requisites.
- Plan your schedule. Do not create time conflicts, select sections that are not closed, and choose alternate courses. Students may schedule up to 17 credits. If you wish to schedule additional credits, visit your academic dean’s office for assistance.
- DO NOT schedule courses as place holders. By the end of schedule clean-up, you should have a schedule that will meet the requirements of your program of study, even though it may not contain your ideal general education courses, preferred times, or a certain faculty member.
- Get permission for restricted courses. If the course is restricted or requires permission, you must contact the appropriate department office during your time ticket window to explore your options.
- Get on wait lists for closed courses. If a course is closed and you must take the course for the upcoming semester to fulfill requirements of your program of study, use myShip to sign up for class waitlists. If a course is restricted or if there is an unmet pre-requisite, you will need to contact the department office under which the course resides to explore your options for obtaining the necessary override(s) before you will be able to be added to the waitlist for the course. To sign-up on a waitlist for a class follow these directions:
- Log in to myShip.
- Select My Academics from the Student tab.
- Select Add or Drop Classes from the RegistrationTools menu.
- Select the appropriate term.
- Select or search for the class for which you would like to register.
- If the class is closed, it will be indicated by “C.” Take note of the course registration number (CRN) for that class.
- Manually enter the CRN in the Add Classes Worksheet section of the Add or Drop Classes form.
- Select Submit Changes.
- In the Action drop-down menu, select Waitlist.
- Select Submit Changes to submit your waitlist request.
- Verify the course appears as a waitlisted course.
If you no longer need a course for which you have waitlisted, you may use the Add or Drop Classes form to drop the class. Signing up on the waitlist does NOT guarantee you a seat in the course. You will be notified by email if space becomes available in the class and you are being moved from the waitlist to the class. If there is no waitlist for a course you feel you must take, contact your advisor to discuss your options.
If you have any questions about registration, see your advisor, your department chair, or your dean's office.
Your Registration Time Ticket Window
Log in to myShip at https://my.ship.edu/ and click on the Student tab and select My Academics. Under Registration Tools, select Registration Status. If prompted, select the semester for which you would like to register. You will be able to view your registration time ticket window. All registration must be completed during the registration time ticket window noted.
You must register for the upcoming term during your time ticket window. Online registration will be supported from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. All undergraduate registration will close at 4:00 pm on Friday, November 16.
Did you clear your holds?
Remember: The appropriate office must clear your hold(s) before you can register!
Students in B.A. degree programs who entered college in the fall of 1996 or later must complete the language requirement before graduating.
You must attain intermediate level proficiency in a language by completing college credits, taking three years in high school or passing an exam. Contact your dean or the Modern Language Department for more details.
You will need to have a current SU ID card to register.
- Register by logging into MyShip at https://my.ship.edu/.
- Log on using your User ID and password.
If you have a current ID card, but cannot log into it now, you need to contact the Registrar's Office. If you have lost your ID, you must contact the Campus police for a replacement.
- Click on the Student tab. Select My Academics from the drop down menu.
- Under Registration Tools, select "Add Or Drop Classes".
- Build a schedule by browsing, or by entering the course registration (CRN) numbers.
- Submit your schedule,
You must click the submit changes button to complete your schedule. When you submit your schedule, it will return results. If you don't see these results, you did not SUBMIT your schedule. If you don't SUBMIT CHANGES, you do not have a schedule!
- Logout of the session, print a schedule or schedule more classes. Close the window to ensure no one can use the back button to enter your record.
- Failure to complete registration during your registration time ticket window will necessitate your need to do so during schedule adjustment which begins December 3.