Dr. Holly Ott
Phone: (717) 477-1652
Office: Rowland Hall 129
"As future professionals and scholars in the mass communications field, it is imperative that students understand the importance of experiential learning. By linking knowledge learned in the classroom to real-world application, students will enter the media industry as informed, engaged and strategic media consumers and professionals."
Prof. Ott joined the faculty in 2012. She teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in public relations. Her research agenda includes scholarly work in the areas of corporate social responsibility (CSR), sustainability communication, and nonprofit communication. She regularly presents research at top public relations
conferences, including AEJMC, PRSA, and IPRRC. She is actively involved in several professional organizations, most notably the PRSA Educators Academy and the AEJMC Public Relations Division, where she currently serves as chair of the Graduate Student Liaison Committee. Her professional qualifications include
experience in public relations, higher education, and corporate marketing.
Doctor of Philosophy, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania
Master of Science in Communication Studies, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts in Communication/Journalism, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
- COM 520: Applied Mass Communication Research
- COM 506: Public Relations Strategies
- COM 491: Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility
- COM 432: Public Relations Research and Campaigns
- COM 410: Women and the Media
- COM 355: Practicum
- COM 112: Media Writing
- COM 111: Introduction to Mass Communication
- Ott, H.K., Vafeiadis, M., Kumble, S., & Waddell, T.F. (accepted/forthcoming). The effect of message interactivity on product attitudes and purchase intentions.
Journal of PromotionManagement.
- *Johnson, K.G., Ott, H.K. & Drager, M.W. (2015). Writing tutoring boosts students’ skills and confidence. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 19(1).*[Selected for Editors’ Choice (First Place)
- Waters, R.D., &
Ott, H.K. (2014). Corporate social responsibility and the
nonprofit sector:Assessing the thoughts and practices across three
Public Relations Journal, 8(3).
Co-Authored Book Chapters
- Johnson, K.G., Ott, H.K., & Drager, M.W. (2015). Writing tutoring boosts students’ skills and confidence. In K. A. Charron (Ed.), Writing center theory and practice: Vol. 5. Stuyvesant Falls, NY: Rapid Intellect.
Refereed Papers and Selected Presentations
- How do publics process information? A Multi-theoretical approach to improving CSR communication effectiveness. Paper presented at the International Public Relations Research Annual Conference, Miami, FL.
- What motivates the public?
The power of social norms in driving Public participation with organizations. Paper presented at the Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Educators Academy, Atlanta, GA.
- Communicating sustainability: An examination
of corporate nonprofit, and university websites, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Conference, Public Relations Division, San Francisco, CA, 2015.
- Getting it “write”:
Strengthening basic grammar skills through collaborative efforts, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Conference, Small Programs Interest Group, San Francisco, CA, 2015.
- Are organizations
talking the talk? A study of environmental communication
practices and practitioner perceptions of organizational transparency, International Public Relations Research Annual Conference, Miami, FL., 2015.
- Testing for-profit and nonprofit organizations’
Corporate Social Responsibility
messaging with the public: Credibility, believability,and formality. International Public Relations Research Annual Conference, Miami, FL., 2015.
- Defining the “R” in CSR: A study of students’ perceptions of CSRcommunication in the classroom, Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Educators Academy, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- Web usability and trends in nonprofithealth organizations: Implications for engaging publics and ensuring accessibility for all,Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Educators Academy, Washington, D.C.,2014.
- The more informative, the better:
The effect of message interactivity on product attitudes and purchase
intentions , Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication Annual Conference, Public Relations Division, Montreal, CAN, August 2014.
- How "social" should social media be? The
effects of companies' social media responsiveness on consumers' attitudes
and purchase intentions, The Pennsylvania State University's 29th Annual Graduate Exhibition, State College, PA, April 2014.
- Creating synergy through collaboration:
How peer tutoring has empowered journalism students, Mid-Atlantic Writing Centers Association Conference, Salisbury, MD, April 2014.
- Strategic marketing through social
networks: The effects of interactivity on consumers' attitudes and
purchase intentions, Communication Technology Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Midwinter Conference, Norman, OK, February 2014.
- Learning together: A collaborative
approach to using effective tutoring strategies in a Media Writing
classroom, Faculty Conference on Teaching Excellence, Philadelphia, PA, January 2014.
- Understanding public relations
through practicum: a peer-to-peer and experiential learning model, Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October 2013.
- Effective strategies for using CSO
as a marketing tool, Career Services Online National Conference, Austin, TX, May 2012.
- Brand yourself, Cooperative Education and Internship Association National Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 2011.
- Top (First Place) Paper/Betsy Plank Student Research Award, Public Relations Society of America, Educators Academy Division, 2015
- Arthur W. Page Center for Integrity in Public
Communication Legacy Scholar Grant Recipient, 2015
- Top (Third Place) Research Paper Award, 2015
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Small Programs Interest Group
- Betsy Plank Center Research Award, 2014
- Top Student Research Paper Award, 2014
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Public Relations Division
- Kappa Tau Alpha Research Award, 2014
- Arthur W. Page Center for Integrity in Public Communication Research Grant Recipient, 2014
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
Public Relations Society of America Educators Academy
Eastern Communication Association