Constitution of the NCTE Student Affiliate
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the National Council of Teachers of English Student Affiliate of Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania.
Article II. Purpose
The purposes of this organization shall be:
- To create a community among future teachers of English and Language Arts.
- To develop professional attitudes and standards through meetings, discussions, and speakers.
- To encourage investigation and research.
- To enhance ties between students and professional education community, the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts (PCTELA), and National Organization of Teachers of English (NCTE).
Article III. Membership
Membership in this organization shall be open to all Shippensburg University students interested in the teaching of English Education. In no aspect of its programs shall there be any difference in the treatment of persons because of race, creed, color, national origin, disability, age, gender, any consideration based on sexual, associational preference, or any other classification which would deprive the person of membership, programming, facilities, and benefits open to all persons.
Active membership shall be retained by the payment of dues to the organization.
Article IV. Officers and Qualifications
A. Officiers - The officers of the organization shall be: President, Vice President, Liaison Secretary, Treasurer, and Liaison Officier. All officers shall be student members of NCTE. The officers shall comprise the Executive Board. The Faculty Advisor shall be a member of NCTE.
B. Tenure - The officers shall be elected during the month of September to serve through the following April. The vote shall be by secret ballot. The officers shall be elected by majority vote.
C. Vacancies / Time - Vacancies in office shall be filled at the meeting next ensuing after a vacancy occurs. Vacancies shall be filled following the same procedure as annual elections.
D. Duties - The duties and powers of the officers and executive board shall be as follows:
- President : The president of the organization shall preside over all meetings of the organization;shall see that all records are kept accurately; shall make appointments to any committees or subcommittees; shall perform all duties incident to the office.
- Vice-President : The vice-president of the organization shall preside over the meetings of the organization in absence of the president, shall plan activities and projects collaboratively with the president and Executive Committee.
- Secretary : The secretary shall be the official publicity chairperson: shall serve as editor of the organization's newsletter; shall keep records of the organization's meetings; shall perform all duties incident to the office of secretary.
- Treasurer : The treasurer shall be responsible for keeping accurate account of the organization's fund; shall plan the organization's yearly budget with the assistance of the Executive Board; shall perform all duties pertaining to the office of Treasurer.
- Liaison Officer : The Liaison Officer shall conduct all correspondence between this organization and NCTE as well as publicity for the organization.
- The Executive Committee : The Executive Committee shall plan the organization's programs in accordance with the purpose of this organization; shall manage the affairs of the organization.
Article V: Replacement / Impeachment
A. Reasons - Impeachment may be justified if duties and powers of the officers and executive board shall not be as followed or if two meetings are not attended without prior notification.
B. Time Limit - There will be at least seven calendar days between official announcement of impeachment procedings and the actual voting.
C. Impeachment Process - The officers may be removed from office by resignation, by a three-quarters vote of the Executive Board, or by a three-quarters vote of the membership.
Article VI. Meetings
• Robert's Rules of Order – All meetings will be conducted according to Robert's Rules of Order.
• Frequency of Meetings - The organization shall meet three times during each semester. The times and place for the regular meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee.
C. Notification - Members will be notified of special meetings at least two weeks in advance through posted announcements.
D. Procedures - All questions before the organization shall be determined by a majority of the members present. All voting shall be done by a show of hands unless a majority of those members present indicate a desire to follow another procedure.
Article VII. Finances
Active membership shall be retained by the payment of dues. Dues shall be determined by the Executive Board.
Upon dissolution state money and mandatory student fees revert back to the granting organization.
Article VIII. Ratification and Amendments
This constitution may be altered or amended by two-thirds total membership.
This constitution shall be ratified at the first regular meeting by a two-thirds majority provided there is a quorum present, and it will be effective upon ratification.