New Graduate Students,
Welcome to the university community!
As further introduction to the university and to its academic and student life opportunities, we invite you to attend Graduate Student Orientation on Sunday, August 25, 2013, in the Dauphin Humanitites Cener. A reception will be held in the DHC Cafe/Fishbowl from 1-2 p.m., the main Orientation Session will be from 2-3:30 p.m. in DHC 151, and Department Break-out Sessions will be from 3:30-5 p.m. in assigned DHC classrooms.
Graduate Student Orientation is a chance for you to meet and dialogue with faculty and other Ship graduate students. We will cover information about student services, talk about our expectations, transition to graduate student life and tips for your success in graduate studies. Faculty members from various academic departments will be in attendance, and members of the Graduate Student Association Board will highlight their activities. You will have opportunities to ask questions and converse with fellow students and university representatives.
All new, incoming graduate student in attendance will be entered into a raffle to win a $50 gift card from the University Store. To learn more about the store, please visit the web page at: http://bookstore.shipstudents.org
We encourage students to purchase decals at the University Police Office just prior to Orientation from 11:30 to 1:00 p.m. All members of the campus community who park on campus need a current parking decal.
To secure both a parking decal and an SU photo ID card:
- After August 12th and before coming to campus on the 25th, go to http://parking.ship.edu and click on Parking Permits. Complete the application form. You may pay online using a credit card, but note there is a $2 processing fee. (Or, you may pay in person with cash, check, or money order.) The cost for all student parking decals is $65 for the first decal; additional decals for the same student are $10 each.
- Next, visit the SU Police Office on campus and bring along the following:
- Driver's license
- Car registration for each vehicle you want to register
- Proof of insurance
- Cash, check, or money order (if you did not pay online)
- Have your picture taken and receive your photo ID card. The newly created card is needed to process your request for a parking decal.
While the University Police Office is open 24/7, the Photo ID Room has limited hours. We strongly encourage you to come to Orientation to get your SU photo ID card; evening hours during the first week of classes are not yet scheduled and may not be available every night. The schedule will be posted on the Graduate Dean's web page when information becomes available.
An SU photo ID card is required for service at the Circulation Desk at Lehman Library, at the Etter Health Center, at the Counseling Center, and at some campus events. Some companies (such as Amtrak) will give student discounts only when a student photo ID is presented.
A parking decal is required on all vehicles on campus 24/7 throughout the entire calendar year. More information about parking is available at: http://www.ship.edu/Police/Parking_Q_A/
A campus parking map is located at: http://www.ship.edu/Visit/parking_map
Important: please RSVP by August 9th.
RSVP at: http://www.ship.edu/graduate/Orientation/RSVP/
Please contact Shirley Smith, Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-477-1148 if you have any questions before Orientation.
Tracy A. Schoolcraft, Ph.D.
Associate Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies