Preparing for the D2L Upgrade
The PASSHE system is moving from D2L v10.3 to v10.4 on May 9, 2015. The D2L system will be unavailable from 12:01am until 2:00pm, May 9. Although we expect to have a smooth transition, it is suggested that faculty export their grade book prior to May 9 and download any student work from the dropbox that has not been graded because of the timing of this upgrade.
To prepare for the upgrade you'll need to perform the following tasks:
- Back up your Grades area by Exporting the gradebook.
- Back up student submissions in the Dropbox area (if desired)
Exporting grades to a D2L course produces either a .csv or .xlsx file. This file can then opened with Excel or Google Sheets.
NOTE: To maintain an up-to-date backup, export a Grades List several times during the semester as well as at the end of the semester
- On the Course Home Page navigation bar, click the Grades link. Click the Enter Grades tab if it is not your default view. The User List screen appears.
- Click the Export button. The Export Grades pane appears.
- In the Export Options section, select the desired options.
- In the "Choose Grades to Export," sections, select the appropriate grade items (recommend to select them all).
- Click Export to CSV or Export To Excel at the bottom of the page. The "Export Grades" dialog box appears.
- Click the grade link. The "File Download" dialog box appears.
- Click the Save button. The "Save As.." dialog box appears.
- Find and select the desired save location on your computer.
- Click the Save button. The "Download complete" dialog box appears.
- Click Close. The grades are exported.
Save Student Work from the Dropbox
NOTE: You will have to complete this process for each dropbox you want to export.
- Click the Dropbox link in the red navbar. The Dropbox area appears.
- Click on a Dropbox folder link.
- On the Users tab, start by selecting # of users (1) to be more than your class size. This ensures that everyone is selected.
- Click on the Select All checkbox (2).
- Once all checkboxes have been selected, click on the Download link.
- D2L will generate a zip file. Click on the zip file link to save the file to your hard drive.
- When the file has downloaded, click on the Close button in the dialog box.
PRO TIP: You can mark up Word files. If you upload a zip of marked up files without changing the names it will attach your edited file as an attachment to the students feedback.
Commenting In Word
A great tutorial for making comments in Microsoft Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/audio-course-revise-documents-with-track-changes-and-comments-RZ001160037.aspx?CTT=1