Working with News
The News tool allows faculty members to communicate updates, changes and new information to students quickly and efficiently. The News Tool is located in the middle of the Course Home page. News item dates can be specified allowing instructors to make them available at appropriate times within the course.
Creating News Items
From the My Home page in the click on the appropriate course link.
- In the News widget, click on the News context (drop-down) menu and select the New News Item button.
The New Item page appears.
- Type the posting title in the Headline field.
- Type the body text for the post in the Content box.
- To set a start date for the News item:
- Click the checkbox next to Always show start date if you’d like to show the start date to all users.
- Click within the Start Date text box to type in the date or select the date from the calendar. Click within the time text box to type in the time or select the time from the drop-down menu.
- To set an end date for the News item:
- Select Remove News Item based on End Date and choose a date by clicking on the End date textbox and typing in the date or selecting a date from the calendar. Click within the Time textbox and either type the time in or select a time from the drop-down menu.
- To add an attachment:
- Click on the Add a File button. The Add a File dialog box appears.
- Either drag and drop a file into the drag and drop box or click Upload to browse for a file. Or choose the file from the list on the left including Course Offering Files and the Locker.
- Select the file you wish to attach and click on the Add button.
- To post the News item, click on the Publish button to publish the item immediately or the Save as Draft button if you want to publish the item later.
Reorder News Items
By default all News items are displayed with new items presented first. However, you can specify how many News items to display at any given time or when News items should no longer display based on age.
- From the My Home page click the course in which you would like to modify a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- From the Course Home page in the News widget click on the Reorder News Items button from the News context (drop-down) menu. The Reorder page appears.
- In the Sort Order column use the drop-down list to select the order in which you want the News items displayed.
- Click on the Save button.
Modifying News Items
Once posted, News items can be modified.
- From the My Home page click on the course link in which you would like to modify a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- In the News widget for the item you want to modify click on the Edit button in the context (drop-down) menu beside the item name. The Edit Item page appears.
- Make the desired changes.
- Click on the Update button.
Deleting News Items
To remove a News item follow these instructions:
- From the My Home page click on the course in which you would like to delete a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- Click on the Delete button in the context (drop-down) menu beside the item name. A confirmation dialog box appears.
- Click on the Yes button. The News item is deleted.
- Brightspace for Faculty
- Quick Start Guide
- System Requirements
- Logging in to D2L
- Assignment Grader
- Book Management
- Broken Links
- Course Offering Information
- External Learning Tools
- Misc Tasks
- Course Glossary
- Grades Tool: Process Overview
- Import-Export-Copy Course Materials
- Intelligence Agents
- Working with Links
- Manage Dates
- Managing Files
- Personal Profile
- Quizzing Overview
- Self Assessments
- Course Tools Overview
- View User Progress
- Working with Widgets