Residence Halls

The Shippensburg University Residence Halls, Seavers Complex suites and Stone Ridge Commons are equipped with wiring, dial tone, and a university owned DID (Direct- Inward-Dial) number assignment. This DID assignment is predetermined by the university and will be available to the student upon room assignment. Students are required to bring their own telephone device. You are asked to seek a device with a REN (Ringer Equivalency Number) less than 1.5. This information is provided by the manufacturer and may generally be found on the bottom of the phone or manufacturer information provided on the box before purchase.

For those residing in Stone Ridge Commons, telephone service is not provided by the same equipment as the campus residence halls. No four-digit dialing exists between the two locations and separate dialing instructions, long distance programs and voicemail services are provided.

A normal touch-tone phone is required. Older style dial phones will not operate on campus. In typical residence hall rooms, a separate telephone jack (white) may be found for each side of the room. The same telephone number assignment is provided to both jacks. Individual numbers for each student in a room are not available.

In Seavers Complex suites an active telephone jack is located in the common area of each apartment as well as the center module of each bedroom. Again, only a single number assignment is given to each apartment.

There are no recurring monthly charges for dial tone as there is with typical residential service. These charges could add up to about $11 per month plus taxes.

All campus to campus calls accessed by dialing the four-digit extension number are free of charge. All campus to local area calls, defined below, are free at this time. The Local Exchange Company (Sprint) however, may provide this feature (local calling) as metered service, in which case appropriate charges would apply. At this time there is no information supporting a change to metered-service. We only want you to be aware that the Local Exchange Company determines this through normal business procedures and PUC approvals.

TIP - The Telecommunications Office recommends you use an analog phone that has a FLASH or TAP button. Several features including CAMP, which allows you to get a second internal caller while you are on the phone, require a FLASH or TAP button.

For more information:
Michael F. Bonafair
Director of Telecommunications
Communications Center, OM 102B


Dialing Instructions

Resident Halls

Note: Students are responsible for their own telephone equipment. This office will attempt to provide guidance in set-up and isolating trouble; however, we will not attempt to repair any piece of equipment.