Department of Mathematics News
If you have news or photos of SU Math faculty, students or alumni, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Professor Marc Renault has been invited to speak at the 2013 North American GeoGebra Conference, on August 3-4 at Miami University of Ohio, on his collection of online calculus applets.
- Professor Lance Bryant presented, "The Maximal Denumerant of a Numerical Semigroup," at La Sapienza Università di Roma I in Rome, Italy on January 15.
- Professors James Hamblin, Ben Galluzzo, Ji Young Choi, Doug Ensley, Kimberly Presser, Debbie Gochenaur, Lenny Jones, Paul Taylor, Mike Long, and Winston Crawley along with mathematics student Maria Elena Markovich attended the Joint Mathematics Meetings of the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America in San Diego, CA from January 9-12. At this conference...
- Dr. Hamblin presented, "Making Assessment Meaningful," in the MAA session on How Assessment Results changed our Program.
- Dr. Galluzzo presented, "Mobile Math Modeling Labs," in the MAA session on Using Mobile Communication Devices for Mathematics Education. He also organized the MAA sessions on Integrating the Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013 in the College Mathematics Curriculum, I & II.
- Dr. Choi presented, "Row reducing the Matrix of $m$-Generalized Combinations," in the AMS session on Logic and Finite Mathematics. Dr. Ensley is a co-author of this work.
- Dr. Presser presented, "Communicating Criticism: Helping students learn to critique mathematical writing and to improve their writing with criticism received," in the MAA session on Communicating Mathematics, IV. She also moderated the MAA General Contributed Paper Session on Probability and Statistics, III. She also co-organized the MAA session on Developmental Mathematics Education, I & II.
- Dr. Gochenaur presented, "Tactile Learning Tasks to Enhance the Content Knowledge of Mathematics Pre-Service Teachers," in the MAA session on Touch It, Feel It, Learn It: Tactile Learning Activities in the Undergraduate Mathematics Classroom, I.
- Dr. Jones presented, "Nonlinear Sierpinski and Riesel Numbers," in the AMS special session on Coverings of the Integers. He also co-organized the session.
- Dr. Taylor presented, "Starting an actuarial program without creating new courses," in the MAA session on Actuarial Education.
- Dr. Melara is the co-author of the work, "Prisoner Reform Programs, and their Impact on Recidivism," which was presented in the AMS-MAA-SIAM special session on Research in Mathematics by Undergraduates and Students in Post-Baccalaureate Programs, III.
- Dr. Long presented, "Functions at the Club," in the MAA session on Touch It, Feel It, Learn It: Tactile Learning Activities in the Undergraduate Mathematics Classroom, II.
- Dr. Crawley co-organized the MAA session on Developmental Mathematics Education, I & II.
- Dr. Ensley is the co-author of the work, "Mobile Math Apps: The Smartphone Paradigm," presented in the AMS special session on The Present and Future of Mathematics on the Web.
- Maria Elena Markovich presented, "Generating Composites by Appending Digits to Certain Types of Integers," in the AMS special session on Coverings of the Integers. Dr. Jones is a co-author of this work.