Kenneth R. Shoemaker, left, is congratulated by President Bill Ruud, right, and Wendy McCrory Rotz, Shippensburg University Alumni Association president, on his being named an honorary alumnus.
Local business, civic leader honored by university
Kenneth R. Shoemaker, local business and civic leader, was honored by Shippensburg University when it named him an honorary alumnus for his long-time support of the university. The award was presented during the Spring Undergraduate Commencement ceremony May 8.
In announcing the award, university President Bill Ruud said the university "is fortunate to have many friends and supporters throughout the region. Thanks to their support, this university has been able to become recognized nationally for its educational excellence. One of Ship's strongest and most loyal supporters has been Kenneth R. Shoemaker who has had a special place in his heart for this university."
The award was presented by Ruud and Wendy McCrory Rotz, presdient of the Shippensburg University Alumni Association.
The citation proclaiming him an honorary alumnus reads:
- WHEREAS, for more than 139 years, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania has had the opportunity to teach students of distinction, achievement and honor; and
- WHEREAS, Kenneth R. Shoemaker has been a long-time supporter of Shippensburg University and;
- WHEREAS, that support has been both professional and personal through his service as a member of the Shippensburg University Council of Trustees and as a leader in the local financial community; and
- WHEREAS, during his service as a Trustee, and especially during his tenure as chair of the Council of Trustees, he helped guide the university as it enhanced its facilities and academic programming all with the goal to benefit current and future students at Shippensburg University; and
- WHEREAS, his unqualified support and leadership enabled the University to further enhance its community outreach programs and its ability to provide numerous services off-campus to such diverse groups as businesses, industries, governmental agencies and community service agencies; and
- WHEREAS, he served with distinction in leadership positions assisting the Shippensburg University Foundation on several successful fund raising campaign initiatives in support of the University's mission of teaching, research and community service; and
- WHEREAS, he has generously donated his outstanding skills, talents and time to help the university meet various challenges and the ever-changing needs and demands of the community and the region; and
- WHEREAS, his efforts on behalf of the university have provided Shippensburg University with a solid foundation and blueprint for future success; and
- WHEREAS, his service to and support of Shippensburg University has been instrumental in the university's continued success and its recognition nationally as an institution that offers an education of excellence;
- NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Shippensburg University Alumni Association Board of Directors unanimously approves making Kenneth R. Shoemaker an "Honorary Alumnus" of Shippensburg University.
- Given on this eighth day of May, two thousand and ten.