Advanced Studies in Counseling: Couples and
Family Therapy Letter of Completion
A 12-credit Post-Master's graduate program designed to meet the professional development needs of School & Mental Health Counselors,
offered by the Department of Counseling.
Meeting Your Needs
- The Professional Counselor Licensure Bill requires counselors in the field to have 60 graduate credits. Most Counselor Education/Counseling graduate programs require only 48 credit.
- In addition,school counselors in the public schools in Pennsylvania must fulfill the ACT48 professional development requirements, which can be satisfied with the completion of six graduate credits every five years.
- Finally Licensed Professional Counselors and National Certified Counselors must complete professional development requirements everyfive years.
- The post-master’s graduate letter of completion, offered at the Dixon University Center in Harrisburg, was developed by faculty in the Department of Counseling and College Student Personnel to meet the ongoing continuing education needs of community, mental health, and college and school counselors.
- The four courses in the program, which focus on couples and family therapy, were designed to be flexible in order to accommodate the demanding schedules as well as geographic locations of counselors and mental health practitioners.
- Enhancing the theory-based classroom discussions is a clinical component providing practice in couples/family therapy. These sessions will help serve clients in the SU community clinic, Growing Edges. Under direct faculty supervision, students will practice basic and advanced counseling skills, while crafting and delivering end of session messages.
- To earn a Letter of Completion of Advanced Studies in Counseling, students must have a master’s degree in counseling or an allied mental health field and complete the following four courses with at least a 3.00 GPA. The successful completion of each course will be denoted on the student’s official Shippensburg University graduate transcript.
For all other Counseling Programs, click here!
Horton Hall 108
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, PA, 17257
(717) 477-4050 fax