SHIPREC RECREATION CENTER
ShipRec provides the following amenities to the University Community:
Cardio/Strength Area: (
35 Cardiovascular Machines Stretching Area
Cybex Eagle Circuit, Free Weights, and Power Lift Stations
4 Multi-Purpose Courts & Elevated Running Track
1,800 Sq Ft Group Fitness Studio. Racquetball (2) and Squash (1) Courts
Day Lockers and Locker Rooms
Members in violation of access or building policies risk loss of membership privileges without refund.
- Jeans, pants or shorts with rivets or zippers, and belts are not permitted.
- Gym bags backpacks, and purses are not allowed in workout areas. Bags must be stored in cubbies, day lockers (require a quarter) or in a locker room
- locker (bring your own lock).
- Individuals are required to wear athletic shoes. No open-toe or non-athletic shoes are permitted.
- No glass bottles or open containers are permitted. Only plastic bottles and closed containers are allowed.
RAQUETBALL/SQUASH COURT RESERVATIONS:
- Track is for exclusive use of walkers and runners.
- Be alert for runners as you enter the track surface.
- Store personal items in secure storage.
- Non-marking, spike-free shoes are required.
- Inside lane is a walking lane - 8.5 laps/mile.
- Outside lane is a running lane - 8 laps/mile.
- Please honor any posted directional signs.
- Reservations must be done in person at the ShipRec entry desk.
- Players are limited to ONE participation period on the courts per day. Players are not permitted to sign-up for multiple slots.
- Reservations may be made 1 day ahead of time. Weekend reservations may be made on Friday.
- A reservation is released if the player(s) do not arrive within 5 minutes of the scheduled reservation time.
- Non-marking shoes are required, and shoes not work outside are preferred.
GROUP FITNESS ROOM:
- ShipRec members are eligible to check-out equipment at the entrance desk at no charge. Guests are not permitted to check-out equipment.
- All equipment check-out requires the presentation of a valid SU ID or membership card. The ID or membership card will remain at the entrance desk for the duration of check-out.
- Any equipment reported as lost or damaged will be subject to a replacement fee.
Please visit events.ship.edu to submit a facility request.
Reservation Requests- Recognized student organizations may request space in recreational venues through the campus-wide scheduling system , EMS, by visiting events.ship.edu. The requestor should be an individual planning to be on site for the duration of requested activity. Instructions appear at the end of the Facilities page. Please refer reservation questions to the Director of Recreation , 477-1755.
FACILITY REQUEST INSTRUCTIONS (INSTRUCTIONS FOR ATHLETIC/RECREATIONAL FACILITIES ONLY)
Non-University affiliated (external) groups should contact Conference Services regarding facility reservations.
Conference Services Contact Information:
Grand Opening - March 2008
Members of the campus community and the public were invited to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 11:30 a.m. March 17 to officially open the new student recreation building. The program included the ribbon-cutting, brief remarks and self-guided tours. The facility, between Seth Grove Stadium and Heiges Field House, was requested by students and later approved by them in a referendum. The approximately 62,000-square-foot facility includes an 8,000-square-foot fitness center, four multipurpose courts for volleyball and basketball, an 1,800-square-foot aerobics room, an elevated running track, racquetball courts, locker rooms and administrative offices.