Computer Labs Remote Access
To assist with the transition of students attending classes remotely, Ship has provided access to its computer labs via a new Remote Access Tool. The tool allows students and faculty to log in and use an available workstation in a computer lab from their own device, providing access to key software applications and university resources.
How it works
You can access lab computers remotely by visiting https://labs.ship.edu and signing in with your Ship username and password. The dashboard will show workstations available in each lab. If you are looking for a machine in a particular lab, click on that room on the left and click on Connect beside any workstation in the group.
The Remote Access Tool uses the Microsoft Remote Desktop protocol to establish a connection to the lab machine from your device. A small connection file is downloaded, and when launched, you will be asked to authenticate with your Ship e-mail address and password. Simply close the connection or log off when you are done.
How to connect
- On a Windows PC, Microsoft Remote Desktop is already part of your computer. Follow the steps below to connect.
- On a Mac, download the Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App Store before following the steps below.
Connecting to a computer lab remotely:
- Browse to https://labs.ship.edu.
- Sign in with your Ship username and password.
- From the list that appears, choose the lab you want to connect to, or just choose a machine from the All Public Labs list for the most up-to-date standard software access.
- From any available machine that appears, click on the Connect button. Then, click on Download.
- A small file will be downloaded. Click on the file at the bottom of your web browser and click on Connect to establish the connection.
- When prompted to log in, enter your full @ship.edu e-mail address and password. Click OK.
After your connection is established, you can use the computer as your normally would. When finished, select Log off from the Start Menu to end your session.
Many software packages are available for student and faculty use via remote access, such as:
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- ... many more!
For a full list of software available in each lab, please click here.