About the Academic Success Program
To provide access and support to under-prepared students who have the potential to succeed in higher education. ASP strives to develop and maintain a comprehensive academic co-curricular support system for the purpose of enhancing student persistence toward graduation.
It is the philosophy of the program that students who are admitted into the program have the motivation, desire and the potential to successfully complete the requirements to graduate. As a result, the program's efforts continue to be geared towards skill development and enhancement, awareness of and linkage to campus and community resources that will assist students in reaching their goals of obtaining post-secondary degrees and gainful employment.
Long Term Goals
- Provide access to higher education for students who would not be admitted to the university using regular admission criteria (grades and aptitude test scores).
- Enhance the persistence, and graduation rates of Academic Success Program students.
- Integrate the Academic Success Program into the culture of the university
Short Term Goals
- Provide a support system that will enable Academic Success students to overcome academic, social, cultural, financial and other barriers to become confident students and campus community leaders.
- Enhance the campus image of the Academic Success Program.
- Provide a summer experience program designed to enhance the transitional skills of incoming students.