Welcome to the GBLUES PTO Webpage
Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School (GBLUES) and its Parent Teacher Organization take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who supports our mission each and every day. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle, friend, or member of our extended University community, your contributions throughout the year help make incredible things happen. Research has shown that when parents and communities are involved in the classrooms of their children, students excel. We know this to be true at GBLUES, where together we all achieve uncommon outcomes.
As you explore the information below, you will notice that we have a large PTO committee that works hard throughout the year to make sure the teachers, administrators, and students at GBLUES have the support and resources they need to ensure safe, healthy, and inspiring learning opportunities. We couldn't offer all of the class field trips, family events and picnics, special programs, after school programs, camp programs, and more without your support. So if you have not already done so, please consider becoming a volunteer and member of our PTO and share your skills so that we can all continue to celebrate the wonderful place in which our children learn and grow!
Interested in Volunteering at GBLUES?
Shippensburg Area School District (SASD) has implemented a volunteer policy that can be found on their website, www.shipk12.org that requires all volunteers who work in the school to follow the processes below:
Level 1 Volunteers:
1) Obtain a current ACT 34 PA State Police Criminal History Background Clearance. This has to be less than one year old. Click here for online information.
2) Obtain a current ACT 151 Child Abuse History Clearance. This also has to be less than one year old. Click here for online information.
3) Obtain a current FBI background check. This too has to be less than one year old. Click here for online information.
4) Obtain a Tuberculin Test. SASD will provide free testing. Please contact a school nurse for more information (Click here).
5) Fill out the Volunteer Questionnaire. (They can be found on the wall literature holder in GBLUES Lobby).
Level 2 Volunteers:
Level 2 volunteers are individuals that provide support for students UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION of a professional staff member. Level 2 volunteers must be supervised by the classroom teacher or other professional staff while working with students.
If a volunteer has applied to work in this capacity, all Level 2 volunteers must complete the additional items below before they are allowed to volunteer in the school.
1) Obtain a Tuberculin Test. SASD will provide free testing. Please contact a school nurse for more information (Click here).
2) Fill out the Volunteer Questionnaire. (They can be found on the wall literature holder in GBLUES Lobby).
Once you are cleared to begin volunteering please provide copies of your clearances and follow the procedure as follows:
1) Make contact with GBLUES administrators or teachers to schedule service dates and times.
2) At the prescribed time, pick-up a parking pass at the main desk at GBLUES and park in the designated area.
3) All visitors and volunteers must sign in at the office, where additional directions will be given.
4) If you would like to order lunch (cost is $3.35) please notify school personnel before 9:00 a.m. or bring your own packed lunch if service extends through the lunch hour.
5) When in the building, please use the public restroom in the front lobby.
6) Please remember that all tobacco use is strictly prohibited in school buildings, on school grounds, in school vehicles, or when supervising students.
7) Please sign-out at the front desk when you complete your volunteer service. We appreciate and thank you for your service!
PTO Fund Raising Programs
In order to raise the dollars necessary for our school to be able to run field trips, run Camp GBLUES, and other programs throughout the year, we have to work hard to raise some funds to enable us to do so.
In addition to our planned event fund raisers like the spaghetti dinner and silent auction, several fund raisers we can all participate in every day include the Giant A+ rewards program as well as the standard "Box Tops" program. See below for more details on how you can help.
Giant A+ Rewards: Register your Giant Bonus Card to help the school raise funds. Ask everyone you know to register and you can help our school. Everytime you make a purchase using your Giant Bonus Card, the school will receive a percentage of what you spent. For more information on this program checkout the website www.GiantAplus.com. Please designate our school using the code is 00745. In past years, we have earned anywhere from $1500 up to $3000! Every dollar helps us so please ask everyone to help support our school!
Box Tops: Please continue to collect Box Tops! Submit them to school in the container outside the office. We get checks periodically for this simple collection off of items we use at home.
2018-2019 PTO Executive Committee
Director: Mr. Steven Smith
Administrative Assistant: Lisa Cline
PTO President: Tricia Blount
PTO Vice President: Tricia Maciejewski
PTO Treasurer: Rebecca Gardner
PTO Secretary: Heidi Bassett
PTO Teacher Representatives: Mrs. Serr and Dr. Blahus
Back To School Picnic: PTO Executive Board
Hospitality: Lyman's (First Friday Coffee)
Fall Festival: Tricia Blount & Neysa Thomas
Holiday Store: Marcie Taylor
Teacher Appreciation: Jessica Vassallo
Camp GBLUES Coordinators: Nathan & Neysa Thomas (Camp Coordination/Activities)
Race for Education: Amanda Kirkpatrick
Spaghetti Dinner/Silent Auction - Stevie Tsambiras
Plant Sale: Barbara Frederick
5th Grade Graduation:
End of Year Picnic: Marcie Taylor and Tricia Blount
Box Tops: Alix Rouby
Giant A+ Rewards: Alix Rouby
Yearbook: Savannah Manetta, Petra Reuter
Publicity: Mary Burnett
Monthly Club Series: Holly Burns
Garden Club: Nathan Thomas
Mr. Steven Smith