Office of the President
On August 7, 2017, Laurie A Carter, J.D., became the 17th president of Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania.
Prior to coming to Shippensburg University, Carter was the executive vice president and university counsel for Eastern Kentucky University, a regional, public university enrolling more than 16,000 students in Richmond, KY. As executive vice president at Eastern Kentucky, Carter served on the president’s cabinet and assumed responsibility for the university in the president’s absence. She provided leadership for 33 departments, including the University Counsel’s Office and the Division of Student Success, overseeing a budget of more than $71 million. She created the Student Success Center and initiated a program for first generation college students at EKU.
Before her initial appointment as executive vice president for student success and university counsel at Eastern Kentucky, Carter spent about a year as vice president for arts education at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, where she was responsible for providing strategic leadership, external relations and administrative management of the third largest arts education program in the United States. Previously, she held various positions over almost 25 years at The Juilliard School, considered the nation’s premiere performing arts college.
Carter began her tenure at Juilliard as director of student affairs, a position she held for five years before being named assistant dean for student relations and legal adviser. She also served as associate vice president and vice president for legal and student affairs and was founding executive director of jazz studies at the prestigious performing arts school. She created, implemented and supervised diversity initiatives, resulting in a 10 percent increase in under-represented students and a doubling of under-represented faculty. She created and implemented jazz studies at Juilliard, leading the successful effort to have the program accredited. She also led the planning and design of a $200 million renovation project at the school.
Carter has taught at Eastern Kentucky, Juilliard and Seton Hall University. She also was director of residence life at Fairleigh Dickinson University and a residence hall director at William Paterson. She is a member of the Kentucky and New York State bar associations; the National Association of College and University Attorneys; and the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. She also is a board member of YMCA-Richmond and LexArts.
She is a graduate of what was then Clarion State College, now Clarion University of Pennsylvania. In addition to the Bachelor of Science in communications degree she earned from Clarion, Carter also has a Master of Arts degree in communications from William Paterson College and a Doctor of Law degree from Rutgers School of Law-Newark.
- Laurie A Carter, J.D., President
- Mr. Lance Bryson, Associate Vice President, Facilities Planning and Maintenance
- Dr. Carolyn M. Callaghan, Interim Dean, Professional, Continuing and Distance Education
- Mr. John E. Clinton, President and CEO, Shippensburg University Foundation
- Dr. Amy Diehl, Director, Systems and Applications, Technology and Library Services
- Ms. Stephanie Erdice, Interim Director of Social Equity
- Ms. Mindy D. Fawks, Associate Vice President, Administration and Finance
- Ms. Cytha D. Grissom, Director of Public Safety
- Dr. Robert L. Hale, Chair, University Forum
- Dr. Jennifer Haugie, Associate Vice President, Enrollment Management, and Dean of Admissions
- Dr. James R. Johnson, Dean, College of Education and Human Services
- Dr. John G. Kooti, Dean, John L. Grove College of Business
- Dr. Kara A. Laskowski, President, SU APSCUF
- Dr. David L. Lovett, Associate Vice President, Student Affairs, and Dean of Students
- Ms. Laura J. Ludlam, Director, Communications and Marketing
- Dr. Dennis H. Mathes, Associate Vice President, Technology and Library Services, and Dean of Library and Academic Technology Support Services
- Ms. Robin M. Maun, Executive Assistant to the President
- Mr. Jeffrey A. Michaels, Director of Athletics
- Dr. James H. Mike, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Ms. Traci Moyer, President, Student Government
- Mr. Chris Ossont, Graduate Student Association
- Mr. Mark E. Pilgrim, Director, Institutional Planning and Research
- Dr. Rick E. Ruth, Acting Executive Vice President
- Dr. Tracy Schoolcraft, Acting Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Dr. Roger L. Serr, Vice President, Student Affairs
- Dr. Sarah Stokely, Dean, Academic Engagement and Student Support
- Mr. Rob Tritt, President, SU AFSCME
- Dr. David A. Topper, Associate Vice President, Administration and Finance
- Mr. Christopher Wonders, Director, Institute for Public Service and Sponsored Program
- Office of the President
- About Shippensburg University
- Program Planning & Budget Guidelines
- Planning Documents
- President's Office Staff
- University Governing Boards and Committees
- A Message about Access and Equity
- Council of Trustees Members
- Trustee Meeting Minutes
- Cabinet Membership
- Cabinet Meeting Minutes
- Facilities Management & Planning