Early Childhood Education Minor & Certification
The early childhood education teacher certification program at Shippensburg University is designed as a minor in the Department of Teacher Education. The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) certifies early childhood teachers for preschool through third grade. Students who major in elementary education and minor in early childhood education are eligible for certification for preschool-6th grade. Since the early childhood certification program provides special expertise for teaching preschool through 3rd grade, PDE is currently recommending that school districts hire early childhood certified teachers for all kindergarten through 3rd grade positions. In addition, early childhood certified teachers are qualified to teach preschool special education classes.
The early childhood minor prepares students to teach young children in a variety of educational settings, including preschool, child care, Head Start, public and private school kindergarten through third grade. Child development provides the basis for understanding how young children think, learn and behave. All courses in early childhood are grounded in child development research and theory, including current information coming out of neuroscience on brain development. Our early childhood certification program has received National Recognition for its quality by the National Association for the Education of Young Children/National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NAEYC/NCATE).
Early Childhood Education minors who are Elementary Education majors will use the program planning sheet for their major. In addition to the required courses for the major, the following early childhood education courses are required for the minor and early childhood certification:
- TCH 160 Child Development
- ECH 200 Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- ECH 360 Assessment in Early Childhood Education
- ECH 330 Primary Curriculum
- ECH 340 Preschool and Kindergarten Curriculum
- ECH 460 Family, School and Community Partnerships in Early Childhood Education
- ECH 462 Practicum in Early Childhood Education
- ECH 470 Language Development, Literacy, & Play in Early Childhood Education
The sequence that is recommended is:
- ECH 200 2nd semester
- TCH 160 3rd semester
- ECH 360 4th or 5th semester
- ECH 330 4th or 5th semester.
- ECH 340, 460, 461 and 462 must be taken as a block during the senior year prior to Student Teaching.
For more information about the Early Childhood Education minor, please contact Dr. Couchenour at firstname.lastname@example.org.