New Graduate Students,
Welcome to the university community!
As further introduction to the university and to its academic and student life opportunities, we invite you to attend Graduate Student Orientation on Sunday, January 19, 2014, in the Dauphin Humanities Center.
During the reception from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. in the DHC Cafe/Fishbowl, you will have an opportunity to meet and dialogue with faculty and other Ship graduate students. During the main session beginning at 2:00 p.m. in DHC 051, we will cover information about student services and talk about our expectations for your success in graduate studies. Department Break-out Sessions will be from 3:30-5:00 p.m., and faculty members will highlight department activities.
All new, incoming graduate students in attendance at the main session from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. will be entered into a raffle to win a $50 gift card from the University Store. To learn more about the store, please visit the web page at: http://bookstore.shipstudents.org On January 19th, the store will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
We encourage you to purchase your parking decal at the University Police Office just prior to Orientation from 11:30 to 1:00 p.m. All members of the campus community who park on campus need a current parking decal.
To secure both a parking decal and an SU photo ID card:
- Before coming to campus, go to http://parking.ship.edu and click on Parking Permits. Complete the application form. You may pay online using a credit card, but note there is a $2 processing fee. (Or, you may pay in person with cash, check, or money order.) The cost for all student parking decals is $65 for the first decal; additional decals for the same student are $10 each.
- Next, visit the SU Police Office on campus and bring along the following:
- Driver's license
- Car registration for each vehicle you want to register
- Proof of insurance
- Cash, check, or money order (if you did not pay online)
- Have your picture taken and receive your photo ID card. The newly created card is needed to process your request for a parking decal.
While the University Police Office is open 24/7, the Photo ID Room has limited hours. We strongly encourage you to come to Orientation to get your SU photo ID card; evening hours during the first week of classes are not yet scheduled and may not be available every night. The schedule will be posted on the Graduate Dean's web page when information becomes available.
An SU photo ID card is required for service at the Circulation Desk at Lehman Library, at the Wellness Center, and at some campus events. Some companies (such as Amtrak) will give student discounts only when a student photo ID is presented.
A parking decal is required on all vehicles on campus 24/7 throughout the entire calendar year. More information about parking is available at: http://www.ship.edu/Police/Parking_Q_A/
A campus parking map is located at: http://www.ship.edu/Visit/parking_map
Important: please RSVP by January 6th.
RSVP at: http://www.ship.edu/graduate/Orientation/RSVP/
Please contact Shirley Smith, Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-477-1148 if you have any questions before Orientation.
Tracy A. Schoolcraft, Ph.D.
Associate Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies