Apply Now

Apply Now
Check your Application
Request Information

spacer image
Grad Social Media
facebook_logo  Twitter Google+2
spacer image

Contact Information:

Graduate Admissions:

Graduate Admissions Office
Shippensburg University
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg PA 17257
Phone: 717-477-1213
Fax: 717-477-4016

Graduate Dean's Office:

The School of Graduate Studies
Shippensburg University
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, PA  17257
Phone: 717-477-1148

spacer image

Frequently Asked Questions From Prospective Graduate Students

Q.What is the minimum GPA required for admission?  

A. Minimum GPA requirements differ by program but for most a 2.75 cumulative/overall grade point average is the minimum. Applicants to the M. Ed. program in Dual (K-12) School Counseling and M. Ed. in Reading must have a minimum of a 3.00 undergraduate GPA. Applicants to the Master of Social Work must have a 2.80 undergraduate GPA. 

Q. If I have less than a 2.75 then what? 

A. It depends on the major/department to which you are applying. Some require the GRE, MAT, letters of recommendation, interviews, resumes, essays/goal statements or all of the above. Please see our program and degree requirements.

Q. What is the rule regarding transfer credits? 

A. We will accept a maximum of 9 transfer credits with grades of "B" or better. The credits should not be more than five years old.

Q. How many credits are required to complete most masters' degrees? 

A. Most require a minimum of 30 credits. We offer two that require 60.

Q. What constitutes full-time status? 

A. A student must be scheduled for a minimum of 9 credits per semester (maximum of 15). Anything less than 9 credits constitutes part-time status.

Q. What about financial aid concerns? 

A. If you are a full-time student, you are eligible for a graduate assistantship, which gives you a tuition waiver for up to 9 credits and a small stipend. If you are scheduled for six credits, you are eligible for a loan through the Office of Financial Aid.

Q. Is there on campus housing for graduate students? 

A. Only during the summer terms. For more information regarding on and off campus housing, contact the Office of the Dean of Students 717- 477-1164 or email: 

Q. How many years do I have to complete my degree? 

A. All course work and research for the master's degree must be completed within a seven-year period.

Q. If I have questions about scheduling courses, grades, withdrawing from a class, or candidacy where do I go for information? 

A. Those issues are handled by the individual departments, see appropriate department secretary for details. Contact information for Graduate Coordinators within specific departments can be found on the Graduate Studies Contact page.

 Q. Do you offer any courses online? 

A. The School of Graduate Studies has begun offering courses for its graduate programs online.  Some programs do not offer any online courses because of the nature of their curriculum.  We are in the process of preparing to offer significant portions of certain programs online.  At this point we would encourage you to not expect any program to be offered or completed in a fully online format. If you are looking for online options please visit the Office of Professional, Continuing, and Distance Education as any options of that nature would be listed on that site.