How to Apply | Non-Degree Seeking
Shippensburg University is dedicated to promoting and fostering the concept of life-long learning. We provide educational learning opportunities for individuals who wish to take courses for personal, scholarly, or professional growth, without pursuing a degree (bachelor's, master's or doctorate). Please see additional information on the different types of non-degree seeking students, the requirements, and enrollment directions specifically for non-degree student.
If a non-degree student wishes to matriculate and convert to degree-seeking status, they must apply for admission to the University through the regular admission process.
For additional questions or assistance, contact the Office of Professional, Continuing, and Distance Education at (717) 477-1502 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Non-Degree Seeking Students
Shippensburg University welcomes all who wish to take classes without being a degree-seeking student, as long as the University’s academic requirements are met. Learn more about the academic requirements within the undergraduate / graduate catalogs.
Some items to keep in mind:
- You must make sure if the class you wish to enroll in permits non-degree students.
- You must have completed the prerequisite coursework for the particular course, in which you would like to enroll.
Undergraduate Non-Degree Students
Undergraduate courses are available for high school graduates, or those who have achieved equivalency status, who wish to add to their specific area knowledge, to review or to improve certain skills, broaden their interests, advance their professional skills, or to transfer to another university.
Some items to keep in mind:
- A maximum of thirty (30) semester credits earned in non-degree status may be credited toward an undergraduate degree. Courses taken by post-baccalaureate non-degree students are not ordinarily transferable toward graduate degree requirements.
- All prerequisite coursework requirements of degree-seeking students apply to non-degree seeking students.
- Non-degree undergraduate students will be permitted to enroll in classes after Shippensburg University regularly admitted degree-seeking students have enrolled in classes.
Graduate Non-Degree Students
Graduate courses are available for applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree and do not wish to obtain a degree.
- If you are planning to pursue a degree program you should not enroll as a non-degree student. While non-degree students may subsequently apply for a degree program, there is no assurance they will be admitted.
- Academic departments at their discretion may approve a maximum of nine credit hours of course work (with grades of "B" or higher) taken in non-degree status to count toward the master's degree.
Application & Enrollment Process
Non-degree Student Enrollment
If you wish to enroll in a Shippensburg University class as a non-degree student, complete the following steps:
- Complete either the Undergraduate Non-degree application or Graduate Non-Degree application. You will need to setup a username and password, please make sure you write down this information for later use when enrolling in your class.
- On the non-degree application page, please select either 'Undergraduate non-degree' or 'Graduate non-degree' from the drop-down menu as your Application Type.
- After completion of the application, please click 'Submit' to continue and pay application fee.Your application will not be processed if you don't click 'Submit'.
* Please note:
- After successful completion of application, you will receive follow-up directions for enrolling in your course in an email to the email address you provided on your application.
- Please give at least two business days for review and processing of application.
Tuition, Fees, Bills, Refunds, and Employer Payments