The Raider Battalion is the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) program at Shippensburg University. Located in the heart of the Shippensburg University campus, the Raider Battalion includes students from Shippensburg University, Wilson College, and Penn State Mont Alto.
2016 Ranger Challenge Team
Watch our Facebook page this summer for information on ROTC ORIENTATION, August 22-24
How to Enroll in ROTC
- Freshmen: Enroll in Military Science 132 (Choose class on Wednesday/12:00, Wednesday/1:00, or Thursday/11:00)
- Sophomores: Enroll in Military Science 232 (Choose class on Tuesday/11:00 or Thursday/12:00)
- Juniors and Grad Students: Contact the Military Science Department for course info.
There is no obligation required to start ROTC. Students can take up to two years of ROTC classes without making any military commitment. Students who commit to completing the ROTC program, though, are entitled to a monthly stipend of $300 to $500 and can compete for full-tuition scholarships.
What makes Shippensburg ROTC special?
2016-2017: ROTC/Veterans Living Learning Community opens in Kieffer Hall. Not required, but an option for ROTC cadets, a living/learning community is a group of students who live on the same floor and share common academic or social interests. In your LLC, you'll build new relationships with other students, faculty, and staff, while concentrating on your personal passions. In your LLC, you'll also enjoy benefits such as simplified scheduling, living in suite-style housing custom designed for LLCs, and the ability to choose your roommates.
Benefits and Perks:
- Suite-style living in Kieffer Hall, located near the ROTC office in Wright Hall
- Lounge reserved specifically for your LLC use
- Staff and faculty mentors to provide support and resources
- Instant connection with fellow hallmates
- Events and programs geared towards your interests
- Supportive environment to encourage you to achieve your goals
- Seven Shippensburg cadets were selected for prestigious overseas summer tours in the ROTC Cultural Understanding and Language Proficiency Program.
- Three cadets earned their wings at Army Airborne or Air Assault schools.
- Three cadets were selected for competitive internships: NASA (at Moffett Field, CA), Army Medical Department (at Madigan Army Hospital/Ft. Lewis, WA) and the NSA (Ft. Meade, MD).
2014-2015: Shippensburg Army ROTC cadets ranked #1 out of 42 colleges in the Northeast for their performance at Leadership Development and Assessment Camp at Ft. Knox, KY.
2013-2014: Cadets earned a record $3,450,000 in full-tuition scholarships and ROTC enrollment rose to 142 cadets.
For more information please use the navigation links to the left.