Strategic Communication, MS
Each day, people look to become change agents in their communities and organizations. Through the Master of Science in Strategic Communication program, you will build the confidence and skills to be the impactful individual we know you can be! Our 100% online program not only provides you flexibility but gives you the power to take on your education on your terms. Be the agent of change in your community by learning with Shippensburg!
Get more info
What Will I Learn?
In this program you will learn:
- The skills needed to be a successful strategic communication professional in an increasingly digital and diverse world
- Skills in digital media content creation, production, and distribution, including web publishing and social media
- Research and project management skills
The core courses provide training in the theory and practice of strategic public relations and digital media. You will conduct and analyze communication research and complete a professional project on behalf of a real-world client.
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have?
Those working full-time can take advantage of course offerings online. However, many opportunities exist to gain the university experience in a meaningful way during your time at Ship. You can join the Graduate Student Association Board, and not just get involved in campus life, but also gain deeper insights into how institutions of higher education communicate messages. Academic grant opportunities also await more research-focused students, through the Graduate Research Grant Program. Students interested in gaining first-hand experiences about increasing diversity in the workplace can also be part of organizations through the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. While predominantly staffed by undergraduate students, opportunities also exist for graduate students to get involved with Ship’s many student media and media associations such as the PRSSA, WSYC 88.7 FM, SUTV and The Slate. For-credit internships are available and lead to great opportunities.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
The Master of Science in Strategic Communication is ideal for those who want to:
- Strengthen a communications career
- Prepare for a career in communications
- Prepare for further studies in communication
Technology and platforms around us are changing at rapid pace. However, the need for effective communication will remain a critical necessity across organizations. Armed with the theoretical, methodological and strategic-thinking skills learned during this program, you will be well-equipped to handle new developments in the field, and take on challenging roles such as:
- Media relations manager
- Social media outreach coordinator
- Campaign manager
- Corporate communication consultant
- Social issues advocate
- Political strategist
- Market research analyst
- Internal communications manager
- Speech writer
- Technical communication specialist
- Web producer
- Academic roles (e.g. university lecturer)
- Multimedia specialist
Strategic Communications, M.S. Degree Plan
Full-Time (30 Credits)
Fall Semester: 6 Credits
- COM 505 - Foundations of Strategic Communication Credits: 3
- COM 527 - Multimedia Storytelling Credits: 3
Winter Semester: 6 Credits
Spring Semester: 6 Credits
- COM 520 - Strategic Communication Research Credits: 3
- COM 548 - Global Strategic Communication Credits: 3
- COM 525 - Social Media Analytics & Strategy Credits: 3
- COM 565 - Strategic Media Management Credits: 3
- COM 603 - Professional Project Credits: 3
- COM 523 - Professional Writing & Editing Credits: 3
Planning Notes for all students:
- 30 total credits required
- Students can being in any semester or term, including, fall, spring, winter or summer.