Global Languages Language Proficiency Pledge (LPP)
As a student in the Global Languages Department at Shippensburg University, I pledge that I will strive to reach an Advanced level of oral and written proficiency according to the ACTFL standards by:
- Consulting with my advisor to know what my current proficiency level is.
- Complying with course requirements such as readings, assignments, and projects.
- Designing a learning plan in case my proficiency level is way below the target.
- Participating as much as I can in class (responding in the target language, asking for clarification in the target language) and outside of class (emailing my teacher and classmates in the target language) and consciously moving out of my comfort zone.
- Participating in my language club activities.
- Increasing the amount of vocabulary and verbs I know by keeping a vocabulary notebook (reviewing it and adding to it often).
- Seeking opportunities to hear and speak more my chosen foreign language.
- Putting myself in contact with the target culture (Visiting websites or watching movies (even with English subtitles (see the Lehman library DVD collection), reading novels or comic books (see the Lehman library collection).
- Including a study abroad experience within my academic plans.
- Asking for suggestions for readings/films/websites for my leisure time.
- Practicing talking about current events in the target language with classmates, friends, etc.
- Talking, talking, talking in the target language as much as possible.
- Preparing myself for an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).
- Taking an in house OPI with my academic advisor.
- On Skype, finding a native-speaker interested in trading conversation in the target language for conversation in English.