International Graduate Student Application Process
Shippensburg University is where international graduate students apply for a world-class education. In order for us to officially accept you at our school, we must first review your academic credentials to evaluate your candidacy. Once you are academically admitted, we will
then review your financial support to determine your eligibility for an I-20 to be issued.
You must complete a Graduate Application for International Admissions online.
A $45.00 non-refundable application fee is due at the time of submission.
If English is not your native or official language, send your official results of English proficiency directly from a testing agency that administers the
TOEFL or IELTS. We recommend a TOEFL score of at least 68 for the iBT or 500 for the PBT. Our test code for the TOEFL is 2657. We require an IELTS score of at least 6.0, although some of our programs differ please see list below.
- Biology program requires a 6.5 on the IELTS or an 80 on the TOEFL.
- Computer Science requires a 5.5 or higher IELTS overall score.
- MS in Communication Studies requires a 6.0 in the writing section and a overall score of a 6.0.
- MEd in Special Education requires a 6.0 IELTS or higher overall. A 5.5 or higher score would be considered for MEd in Special Education, only if Reading and Writing scores are 6 or higher.
You also need to submit official course-by-course (CxC) evaluated transcripts directly from World Education Services (
www.wes.org), ECE (
www.ece.org), or ICD (
- If you choose to use another organization, they must be a NACES (http://www.naces.org/) recognized institution showing a CxC evaluation of the U.S. equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree and include your complete academic transcript. The cost of this evaluation is the responsibility of the student and is not part of the application fee.
In addition, you must scan a photo of your passport or picture ID (and your I-20, if you have one) and send it via e-mail to
You also need to send the following financial documentation to GradAdmiss@ship.edu:
- 2016-2017 Statement of Financial Support for every sponsor. This form is completed by whoever is financially supporting you.
- Current, certified bank statements from your sponsors should show the required minimum amount in U.S. dollars as shown in the form above.
- Income verification should show your sponsor's place of employment, length of employment, and salary. If your sponsor is self-employed, a letter explaining his or her business and income level is required. If you are self-supporting,
this should be indicated on the Statement of Financial Support.
- Scholarship information, if any. If you have full funding including all living expenses and insurance, this may exempt you from submitting the above forms.
- Other forms of Acceptable Documents.
Your graduate program may require you to e-mail attached files like your resume, statement of interest, essay, or questionnaire to
GradAdmiss@ship.edu. These supplemental attachments can only be formatted as PDFs or Word documents. Be sure to submit them prior to the application deadline. Please note your file is not complete until we receive all supplemental documents.
When to Apply
4If you live outside of the United States and its territories, we strongly recommend that you submit all application materials for admission at least four months prior to the semester in which you would like to enroll, allowing for sufficient time to obtain a visa in your country.
To apply for the fall semester, submit all materials no later than April 30. To apply for the spring semester, submit all materials no later than September 30 and confirm by paying your deposit no later than December 13.
International Students not in the US currently the application has closed. Please apply for Fall 2017.
International Students currently in the US you can apply until November 24th 2016. Just apply through the traditional Graduate Application and then email
firstname.lastname@example.org that you are currently in the US, but an International student.
All supplementary documents for all International students must reach the Graduate Admissions Office by December 1st to be considered for Spring 2017! No exceptions after December 1st.
Questions or concerns feel free to email email@example.com
Ready to graduate to bigger and better things? Discover daily life as a graduate student at Ship.