Application Requirements for International Graduate Students
We're glad you're ready to begin your Shippensburg University application and we're ready to assist you on your journey. To get you started, an outline of the application requirements and process is below.
When should I submit my application?
While Shippensburg University reviews applications on a rolling basis, we strongly recommend that applicants who live outside the United States and its territories submit all application materials by the dates listed below prior to the semester in which you intend to enroll. Submitting your application early will give you sufficient time to obtain a visa in your country.
- Fall Semester — no later than June 15th
- Spring Semester – no later than November 1st
Summer enrollment for international students is not permitted.
After you apply, we urge you to frequently check your application status. If there are any missing materials, we will periodically notify you via email. You can also check your online status online.
If you live in the United States please follow the below deadlines for the semester you intend to enroll in.
- Fall Semester — no later than July 15th
- Spring Semester – no later than November 15th
To be considered for admission, Shippensburg University requires you to do the following:
1. Complete an Online Graduate Application for International Admissions
2. Pay the $45.00 USD application fee
3. Submit official results of an English Proficiency Test
If English is not your native or official language, send your official results of English proficiency directly from a testing agency that administers the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Duolingo.
We require a TOEFL score of at least 68 for graduate students for the iBT. If a PBT test is taken, a minimum of 550 is required. Some programs require different scores.
Shippensburg University's test code for the TOEFL is 2657.
We require an IELTS score of at least 6.0, although some of our programs differ.
We require a Duolingo score of at least 95, although some of our programs differ.
Please see list below for scores that may vary from the minimum requirement:
- The Master of Science in Biology program requires a 6.5 on the IELTS, an 80 on the TOEFL, or a 105 on Duolingo.
- The Master of Science in Computer Science requires a 6.0 or higher IELTS overall score, a 70 TOEFL, or 100 on Duolingo.
- The Master of Science in Strategic Communication requires a 6.0 in the writing section and an overall score of a 6.0 on IELTS, an 80 on the TOEFL, or a 105 on Duolingo.
- The Master of Education in Special Education requires a 6.0 IELTS or higher overall. A 5.5 or higher score would be considered only if reading and writing scores are 6.0 or higher. The required TOEFL minimum score is an 80, or the required Duolingo score is 100.
4. Submit course-by-course evaluated transcripts
If you choose to use another organization, they must be a National Association of Credential Evaluating Services (NACES) recognized institution showing a course-by-course evaluation of the United States equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree and include your complete academic transcript. The cost of this evaluation is the responsibility of the student and is not part of the application fee.
5. Submit photo of passport or picture ID
Scan a photo of your passport or picture ID (and your I-20 if you have one) and send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Submit financial support documentation
You also need to send the following financial documentation to email@example.com:
- Statement of Financial Support for every sponsor. This form is completed by whoever is financially supporting you.
- Current, certified bank statements from your sponsors should show the required minimum amount in USD as shown in the form above.
- Income verification should show your sponsor's place of employment, length of employment, and salary. If your sponsor is self-employed, a letter explaining his or her business and income level is required. If you are self-supporting, this should be indicated on the Statement of Financial Support.
- Scholarship information, if any. If you have full funding, including all living expenses and insurance, this may exempt you from submitting the above forms.
- Other forms of acceptable documents.
7. Additional Items
Your graduate program may require you to e-mail attached files like your resume, statement of interest, essay or questionnaire to firstname.lastname@example.org. These supplemental attachments can only be formatted as PDFs or Word documents. Be sure to submit them prior to the application deadline. Please note your file is not complete until we receive all supplemental documents.