Shippensburg University Accreditation
Shippensburg University offers a unique and quality education for an exceptional value that prepares students for success. Learning by doing is what sets the Shippensburg University experience apart. From day one, students have access to hands-on opportunities through service learning, internships and job shadowing, faculty-guided research and study abroad programs.
The Center for Land Use and Sustainability, Brad E. Hollinger Stock Trading Room, Fashion Archives and Museum and the only public elementary lab school in the state, provide students with practical experience that puts their education to work.
With nearly 250 programs, Shippensburg University offers accredited and industry-aligned undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs, preparing the workforce of the future, today.
Institutional accreditation is granted by national and regional accrediting commissions. The accrediting agency, in evaluating quality, looks at the whole institutional unit, such as a state university. Accreditation is awarded as a result of overall compliance with the accrediting agency's criteria. Accreditation by a recognized institutional accrediting body is, in many cases, necessary in order to facilitate a student's transfer or acceptance of credits.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education - Shippensburg University is periodically reviewed by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, an accreditation body which “mandates that its member institutions meet rigorous and comprehensive standards.”
Specialized accreditation is bestowed on pre-professional and professional programs within institutions. Specialized accrediting groups establish standards of excellence in professional educational training programs for recognized professions.
Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences - Ship’s Criminal Justice Department offers one of only eight Bachelor of Science programs in the United States certified by the Academy of Criminal Justice Services.
Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications - Ship’s Communication/Journalism Department offers one of only three programs in Pennsylvania that is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - In 1981, the John L. Grove College of Business became the first school in Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education to become internationally accredited by the most prestigious business accrediting agency in the world, AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Council on Social Work Education - The Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work programs offered by the Ship’s Social Work and Gerontology Department are fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs - Programs from the Counseling and College Student Personnel Department are nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
National Council for the Accreditation of Teachers - Ship offers several programs with accreditation from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education:
- Teacher Education
- Educational Leadership and Special Education
- School Counseling
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) merged with CAEP. The NCATE accredited EPPs are CAEP-eligible until such time as the CAEP accreditation review process is completed.
Shippensburg University is a Military Friendly® School for the 2021-2022 Military Friendly® Cycle. According to Military Friendly® the designation sets a “standard that measures an organization’s commitment, effort and success in creating sustainable and meaningful benefit for the military community.”
- International Association of Counseling Services, Inc. - The University Counseling Center is fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc.
Shippensburg University has recently earned a wide array of accolades, including:
- US News & World Report (Regional Universities North 2021)
- Top Public Schools;
- Best College and Best Online MBA Programs for Veterans;
- Best Value Schools;
- Best Online MBA Programs
- Top Guard Friendly School by The Pennsylvania National Guard Associations (PNGAS) 2021
- Voter Friendly School by Fair Elections Center's Campus Vote Project and Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) 2021
- One of only 231 schools nationwide
- Best Online MBA Programs by Fortune magazine
- #26 based upon cost per credit.
- Study.com Top-Ranked School (Grove College National Rankings, 2021)
- #2 Supply Chain Management
- #5 Marketing
- #12 Business
- #23 Finance
- Best Business Schools by The Princeton Review (Grove College, 2021)
- First-gen Forward Institution by the Center for First-generation Student Success
- College of Distinction for Business, Education and Engineering.
- College of Distinction for Career Development, Equity and Inclusion, and Military Support
- Top Master’s in Science Education program by Intelligent.com
- Leading Financial Planning School, by Financial Planning
Shippensburg University received the 2021 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. For more information about the 2021 HEED Award and other awardees, visit insightintodiversity.com.