A virtual private network (VPN) is a way of accessing an organization's internal, sensitive resources from a computer that is off-site. These types of resources would typically only be available when directly connected to the organization's network.
Ship provides virtual private network (VPN) access to employees needing to access sensitive administrative systems and office desktop computers from a remote location. VPN access is only available on university-owned computers.
Systems that require VPN to access remotely are:
- Remote Desktop (requires the name your office computer)
- Banner Admin Pages
- Cognos Reports
- Banner Document Management (BDMS)
- Banner Communications Manager (BCM)
- CIS Scripts
- Test Environment
- Access to X: drive (Restricted Data Storage)
Most other systems are available without a VPN connection.
Cisco AnyConnect VPN
Ship utilizes the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software to provide VPN access to authorized employees.
Checking if your computer is already set up with AnyConnect
If you are using a university-owned laptop, check for the Cisco AnyConnect software on your device.
Go to Start > Programs > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client to launch AnyConnect.
Browse to Applications > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
If you do not see Cisco AnyConnect installed on your device, please contact the Technology Help Desk at 717-477-HELP (x4357) or email@example.com to request assistance.
Cisco AnyConnect is only available on university-owned computers.
Connect to VPN
- Launch the AnyConnect client using the steps above.
- Enter vpn1.ship.edu in the connection box and click Connect.
- Enter your Ship username (WITHOUT "@ship.edu"), password, and click OK.
- Your connection will be established after installing and verifying your computer.
At this point, you should be able to connect to internal administrative systems as you normally would.
- Connect or disconnect to VPN by right clicking on the Cisco AnyConnect icon in the system tray (to the left of the clock). (On a Mac, this icon will be located on the top title bar toward the right)
Note that you should only remain connected to VPN when accessing administrative systems or other resources that are only available on campus. When not in use, please disconnect from the VPN service.