Prof. James Lohrey
Assistant Professor, SUTV Adviser
Phone: (717) 477-1525
Office: Rowland Hall 126
"Media is an evolving cycle. Not only must we remain current as teachers in the classroom, but we must also teach the next generation the latest tools and technology so students can remain competitive upon graduation."
Prof. Lohrey received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the State University of New York at Buffalo in Media Study and Theatre. He previously taught electronic media production, film studies, media writing and broadcast journalism courses at Mercyhurst University in Erie, PA, Mansfield University in Mansfield, PA, and St. John Fisher College in Rochester, NY.
Before starting in his academic teaching career, Prof. Lohrey worked as a production assistant at WKBW-TV (the ABC affiliate in Buffalo NY), wrote a bi-weekly film column in a small entertainment newspaper in Buffalo and assisted on various film and video shoots. While in college, he participated in the college’s radio station as a DJ.
His current area of research includes gender/sexuality issues in media and broadcasting.
- MA, Media Study & Theatre, State University of New York at Buffalo
- BA, Media Study & Theatre, State University of New York at Buffalo
- COM 112: Media Writing
- COM 284: Electronic Media Basic Production
- COM 345: Communication Law & Ethics
- COM 484: Electronic Media Programming & Management
- COM 424: Electronic Media Producing & Performance
- NATPE Faculty Development Grant, Summer 2016
- The Road to Mercy, Producer and Co-Editor. Documentary Video, 2016
- “Representations from the Heartland to TV’s Homeland: Analyzing Gender (In)Equality in Showtime’s Homeland,” BEA Conference, Las Vegas, NV, April 2015
- PA Association of Broadcasters Equipment Grant Winner, May 2013
- Alfred Hitchcock’s Movie Making Masterclass, Peer Book Review, September 2012
- The Death of Classical Cinema, Book Review, UFVA Journal, Fall/Winter 2008/2009
- Stories from the Gulf Coast: Katrina’s Aftermath, Director and Editor,Documentary Video, 2008
ATAS, BEA, NATPE