Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I join Psi Chi?
- Absolutely, it is a national honors society.
- Should I take a minor and if so, which ones are most common?
- It depends on what you want to do and your interests. Some of the most common are: business, sociology, and biology.
- Should I complete an internship?
- Yes, you will gain valuable experience and an internship might help you to decide what you want to do after school.
- Is it important for me to be involved in a research study?
- Yes. This is highly recommended.
- Will I develop any marketable skills as a psychology major?
- If a student takes a broad range of classes he/she will develop statistical analysis skills that are highly marketable. In addition, client service skills, writing and presentation skills, computer skills, and management skills will be obtained during the courses in the psychology department.
- Should I learn helping skills?
- Yes, helping skills can benefit you regardless of your career interests.
- Should I study for the GRE?
- Yes because the test evaluates skills that you might not have used in a while.
- Should I take the GRE during the school year?
- The best time to take the GRE is during the summer time however, if you are re-taking the exams, it is appropriate to take them during the semester.
- Do I need to take the psychology subject portion of the GRE?
- Not unless the schools that you are applying to require the subject portion.
- What should I do if I am not sure what schools I want to send my GRE scores to when I go to take the exam?
- Choose four schools that you might be interested in and send them because there is a fee if you decided to send them later.
Graduate School Questions:
- What can I do with a bachelors degree in Psychology? Do I have to go on for a masters degree?
- A bachelors degree in psychology is like any other. It is applicable for entry level positions. However, if you want to progress in the field of psychology additional education is usually necessary.
- Should I got to grad. school directly out of undergrad or can I wait?
- It is difficult to make a general statement on whether to go or take a year off. It depends on what your plans are during the year. If you are planning to gain more experience or need to establish financial security, the time off is not going to be detrimental.
- Who should I ask to write me letters of recommendations?
- Professors that known you well.
- What is the difference between a Ph.D and a Psy.D?
- A Ph.D. is more research based with a Psy.D. is more of a degree for a practitioner.
- Masters Program before Ph.D.?
- The competition for doctoral programs is intense, and each year many well-qualified students (who may succeed in graduate school) are not admitted into Ph.D. programs. They may have excellent but not exceptional qualifications. One alternative for such students is to obtain a terminal masters degree from a non- PhD. granting institution in general-experimental psychology and then apply to a doctoral program. A masters program will give the student an opportunity to strengthen his or her credentials (particularly in research), to demonstrate an ability to do graduate-level work, and to work closely with a faculty member (an opportunity which the student may not have had as an undergraduate).