Skip to main content
Jump to Footer

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) From Prospective Graduate Students

Q. What are the requirements for admission?  

A. Shippensburg University takes a holistic approach to graduate admissions. While previous academic success is required, the Grad School also takes into account previous work experience, life experience, and your vision for how a graduate degree will help you personally prosper and serve your profession and community. Some degree programs do have minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) requirements, but please feel free to reach out and speak to a Graduate Coordinator if you have any questions about academic preparation for a specific graduate degree or program. For those applicants seeking doctoral degrees (Counseling, Educational Leadership), a personal interview is required.

Q. If I have questions about scheduling courses, or my grades, or degree candidacy, where can I get information? 

A. Graduate Coordinators are faculty members from each degree or certificate program charged with helping graduate students from matriculation to graduation. Contact information for Graduate Coordinators within specific departments can be found on the Graduate School Contact page.

Q. How will I pay for my graduate education?

A. Graduate students who are not full-time employees at Shippensburg University are eligible for a graduate assistantship, which pays for a tuition waiver for up to 9 credits, and employment at $10.00 per hour taxable, received in a biweekly check in exchange for 250 hours of campus work per semester. Once an applicant has been admitted and confirmed their intent to enroll, access is granted to search available graduate assistantships on campus. Graduate assistantships are not available for those pursing their doctoral degree or professional certificates.

At the graduate level, full-time status is six (6) credits or more per semester.  To be eligible for Federal loans, you must take a minimum of three (3) credits per semester. Taking one class (typically three (3) credits one course) per semester is considered part-time and is eligible for Federal loans.  All students are eligible for loans through private lenders. For additional information, please review the Financial Aid Reference Page or contact the Office of Financial Aid

Q. What programs do you offer than can be taken 100% online?

A. The following programs are offered in a 100% online modality: Applied Psychology (MS), Business Administration (MBA), Criminal Justice (MS), Curriculum and Instruction (M.Ed), Organizational Development and Leadership (MS), Public Administration (MPA), Social Work (MSW), Special Education (M.Ed), Strategic Communication (MS), and Supply Chain Analytics (MS).

Q. Is there on campus housing for graduate students? 

A. On campus housing is available to graduate students during the academic year and summer in Mowrey Hall. Housing is available for the year or per semester. On-campus housing costs less than $1,900 per semester, but students may take advantage of employment on campus that can help to cover the cost of housing. Contact the Housing Office at or (717) 477-1701 for more information.

Q. How many credits may I transfer to my graduate degree at Shippensburg?

A. We will accept a maximum of nine (9) transfer credits with grades of "B" or better from an accredited university. More information about transfer credit can be found on the Transfer Info page.

Q. Can I do a dual master's degree at Ship?

A. Shippensburg offers an MPA/MSW dual degree program, where 9 credits go towards both programs. It may be possible for you to complete two related master's degrees while enrolled at Shippensburg. Given that there are a number of competing factors in completing two advanced degrees, it is advisable to discuss your intent with a Graduate Admissions Counselor to help properly plan your educational trajectory at the Ship. Feel free to call us at (717) 477-1213.

Q. I am an International Student who is choosing Shippensburg University for a graduate degree. What do I need to know?

A. Please visit our Application Requirements for International Graduate Students page, or contact our International Students Office at (717) 477-1279 from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. (eastern standard time).

Q. What student support services do you offer?

A.  Shippensburg University remains committed to the educational, social, and emotional wellbeing of all members of the campus community. The following offices can help all students, undergraduate and graduate, navigate the Ship experience successfully.

The graduate catalog is available online at