Frequently Asked Questions

Page updated June 11, 2020 at 11:45am
New Questions are at the top of the section(s) in Bold/Italic

Jump to FAQs for:

All Students

I wasn't able to retrieve my belongings from my residence hall room by the deadline.  When can I come to get them?

  • Residents were instructed by Housing and Residence Life on June 11 to create an appointment to pick up belongings.
  • For details, refer to the communication and guidelines sent to your email directly by Housing and Residence Life.
  • Please do not come to campus without making an appointment.

I am a residential student and need to request an exemption for the second year of the residency requirement. How will my GPA be taken into consideration for this request?

  • Upon choosing the Pass/Fail grading option, all passing letter grades will be issued as “P” (symbol yet to be finalized). As such, a new GPA will not be calculated for the semester, and your cumulative GPA remains the same as the previous semester. Housing and Residence Life will use your previous cumulative GPA to determine eligibility for exemption. Review the full two-year residency requirement. 

I may have been exposed to a person with Covid-19, or have tested positive myself. What should I do?

  • Shippensburg University is committed to protecting our community and the communities beyond our campus. If you have been identified as someone who has been in contact with, or in close proximity to, any individual who has tested positive for the virus, please follow the guidance of public health officials. Students who have tested positive for COVID-19 may notify the university with complete confidentiality by contacting the Office of Equity, Inclusion & Compliance by emailing or calling 717-477-1161.

I am on the the Dean’s list and the ceremony was cancelled. How will I receive my certificate? 

  • Contact your dean’s office in order to receive your certificate either electronically or by mail.

Distance learning is working out pretty well... but how will things work for final exams? 

  • There will be a final exam schedule as in previous semesters, and like previous semesters, faculty determine and communicate what will occur during that two-hour time block.

Will my graduation date be impacted?

  • No. Students who successfully complete their online coursework and meet graduation requirements will graduate.

Will the commencement ceremony be canceled?

  • Current guidance requires us to postpone May commencement until later in the calendar year. You have worked hard and deserve this celebration so as soon as we are able we will let you know when we can conduct official commencement ceremonies. 

  • A virtual senior week clebration, April 27 - May 1, honors your accomplishments. Seniors: check your email for details.

How will I know faculty office hours for academic advising?

  • Office hours should be posted on the faculty member’s syllabus in D2L and/or conveyed to you via email. 
  • Individual faculty members directly communicate to you about advising be it via zoom, email, or phone calls.

Do I need to get a webcam, speakers, or microphone if I don’t have one?  Will this be a requirement for Zoom?

  • You should not buy equipment until faculty provide the expectations for the specific course and the use of Zoom. 
  • If expected to participate in Zoom meetings, you can call in on the phone at the same time you log in from the computer.  In a Zoom meeting invitation, there is a number to call and meeting ID to type in.  You can be on the computer (muting the computer as applicable) to see course materials and be on the phone to listen and participate in lessons.

I need to submit a handwritten assignment. What phone apps are suggested scanning and sending as a PDF to faculty?  

  • The following apps are recommended for scanning documents using the phone and sending it as a PDF from your phone. 
  • Scanner Pro: PDF Scanner App (iOS only)
  • ScanBot (Android only)
  • Genius Scan (iOS and Android)
  • Microsoft Office Lens (iOS and Android) 

How can I have my mail and/or packages forwarded to my home address?

  • Please call The UPS Store at 717-477-0877 on Monday-Friday between 12 Noon and 5:00pm; or Saturday between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm to discuss mail/package forwarding options along with the change of address process.

Will I receive a refund for housing, meal plans, or fees?

  • Please see the Reimbursements page for a message from the Vice President of Administration and Finance.
  • Details have been shared directly with all students via their email accounts.
  • With half of the semester completed, students may expect the following prorated refunds:

    • Housing:
      • Students will receive a 50% refund.
    • Dining:
      • Weekly Meal Plans (19-meals, 15-meals, 10-meals, 5-meal plans): Students will receive a 50% refund. 
      • Block Meal Plans (225 meals, 175 meals, 75 meals): Students will be refunded for the number of unused meals.  For example, if a student has a 175 meal block plan and used 100 meals, they will be refunded for 75 meals. 
    • Flex Dollars: Students will receive a refund of all unused Flex Dollars. 
    • Student Union Fee:  Students will receive a 50% refund. 
    • Recreation Fee: Students will receive a 50% refund. 
    • Activity Fee: Students will receive a 50% refund. 

This situation is making me nervous and feel anxious, what should I do? 

  • It is normal to experience any number of emotions in response to the current situation. As a result, we highly encourage you to provide mutual support, reaching out to each other as needed. For extra support, reach out to local resources and/or contact the University Counseling Center at 717-477-1481, Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm. The Center is maintaining appointment schedules utilizing distance counseling services. Outside of the Center's office hours, you may contact the on-call Mental Health Crisis Counselor through the Campus Police at 717-477-1444. 
  • The Pennsylvania Department of Health recommends texting "PA" to 741741. More information is available online regarding the Crisis Text Line.

Are my classes now online?

  • Throughout the Spring 2020 semester, all on-campus, face-to-face classes are being delivered virtually. While the delivery mode of courses is changing, the content remains the same. Professors will be in touch via email to share details regarding alternative delivery, so students must check their student email account regularly.

Where do I go for information on my classes and how online instruction will work?

  • It is important to check your email frequently for updates and remain in contact with your faculty. For information on student resources for coursework at a distance go to

I do not have access to a computer or Wi-Fi at home. What should I do?

  • Students are asked to utilize personal laptops, Internet connections and related devices whenever possible to access online course materials. For those students who do not have access to a computer and/or the Internet from home or from alternate locations, we will be happy to assist you by providing loaned equipment through the conclusion of the semester or return to face-to-face classes.
  • If you have a specific equipment need, please complete the request access to technology equipment form.

I do not know how to use Zoom, or how to download Microsoft Office and other software I need to study remotely. What should I do?

  • D2L and Zoom workshops will be held for students in order to prepare them for online instruction. More information is available on the Student Resources page.

Who do I contact if I am having issues with D2L, Zoom or other online resources?

  • For the duration of virtual classes, the Technology Help Desk will be available to answer questions and troubleshoot problems. Non-urgent issues or questions should be sent to Live technician support is available Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. by calling (717) 477-HELP (x4357).

How will I schedule appointments with the tutoring center, writing center, and  career center? 

  • Appointments through the Learning Center remain the same, using the Student Success Collaborative (SSC). Go to the Learning Center’s webpage for course-based tutoring to find step-by-step directions.
  • Appointments for the HSC Communication Center are also made through SSC.

What if my professor tells me through Zoom about taking a quiz? How does that work?

What dining services will be open?

  • If you have been approved for campus access you will be contacted with dining information. 

Is the library open?

  • The library is closed. Online resources and collections are available at

I have books and/or matierials checked out from the library that I need to complete my coursework online.  How can I return the books if campus is closed?

  1. Graduating students and ILL requestors should return books or materials via UPS or USPS.  Please return these items in sufficient packaging to reduce damage in transit.
  2. If you are a graduating student and experiencing financial hardship in returning your materials, contact for assistance.
  3. Students returning to Ship for the fall semester should contact to request an extension on their due dates. Due dates can be extended until fall move-in week. If you would rather return them, please return books or materials via UPS or USPS if desired.
  4. If needed, students may also call 717-477-1461 for assistance with any of the above.
  • To return your library books or materials (calculators, etc.) by USPS or UPS, use this address: Ezra Lehman Memorial Library, Interlibrary Loan, 1871 Old Main Dr., Shippensburg, PA 17257
  • Visit the Ezra Lehman Memorial Library online resources for more information.

I have rented books from the bookstore. How can I return the books if campus is closed?

  • Rental grace periods will be extended to 15 days. This does not change the current last day of finals date which is the due date for student check-ins. Free shipping labels are available to all US rental patrons until midnight of the due date. Visit the bookstore online for additional information.

Will ShipRec be open?

  • ShipRec is closed until further notice.

Am I allowed on campus if I want to be?

  • Only students with approved status are permitted on campus. 

I am enrolled in clinicals, practicums, internships, or student teaching; or am assigned to experiential learning sites that includes professional placements, practica, research internships, and clinical rotations. What should I do?

  • The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) has issued a moratorium for State System schools to suspend face-to-face instruction through Summer 2020. This directive includes students at Shippensburg University who are currently completing internships for credit or not-for-credit.
  • Effective immediately, undergraduate and graduate students should NOT report to on-site placements until receiving further direction from the University. For Shippensburg, that restriction applies through Summer 2020 in response to direction by PASSHE and Governor Wolf.
  • Students completing field placements in social work and counseling may have unique expectations due to ethical standards, accreditation demands, and licensure requirements. Students in field placements in social work and counseling need to communicate directly with their program supervisor and field coordinator to ensure they are following ethical guidelines in responding to changes in services in response to this directive.
  • Through Summer 2020, faculty supervisors for internships and field placements will provide alternate learning experiences for students in these types of classes. 

How will this impact scheduling/registration?

  • The windows for registration will not change. Graduate students will begin registering March 16th. Undergraduate students will begin registering March 23rd. Academic advisors will reach out to students via email to provide guidance on registering for fall classes and provide the registration PIN. Academic advisement is a vital component to successful degree completion and is a primary service we will continue to provide.

Is there a chance the semester could be canceled?

  • The semester is not canceled. All coursework will be completed online or in a virtual setting.

What offices are open?

  • Student services are all being conducted online. A link to these services will be available soon.

Can I talk to someone about concerns even though I am not on campus? 

  • On Monday through Friday, from 8:00am through 4:00pm, please call the Hot Line at 717-477-1006.
  • During all other hours please call Shippensburg University Police Department at 717-477-1444.

Will this impact my financial aid?

  • Changes to spring semester will not impact financial aid.

Graduate Student-specific

I am a graduate student taking courses at the Dixon Center. Will my course move to online?

  • Yes, all courses will take place online or in a virtualized setting through the end of the Spring 2020 semester.

I am a graduate student living in Mowrey Hall. How does this impact my housing?

  • Contact Fore more information

How does this impact my graduate assistantship? Should I still report?

  • Graduate assistants have an optional opportunity to continue employment during the duration of the online instruction. Please contact your supervisor for more information.

Campus Events and Athletics

Are events on campus canceled?

  • All on-campus events are postponed or canceled for the remainder of the semester. This includes shows at the Luhrs Center and exhibits at the Fashion Archive & Museum.

Will campus visits and tours continue as scheduled?

  • All campus visits and tours are suspended until further notice.

Are athletics events canceled?

  • All remaining Shippensburg University Athletics competition for the 2020 spring semester have been cancelled. This decision was made in line with a directive by the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Board of Directors issued on the morning of Friday, March 13, 2020. For up to date information, visit


I have tickets to a Luhrs Center event. Will it be canceled?

  • All events are canceled through the remainder of the semester. Please contact the box office with questions.

Is the Luhrs Center box office still open?

  • The box office is available to assist you by phone and email during normal business hours. Visit for details.

Are entrances to the campus closed?

  • At this time, no entrances or roadways are closed.

My child is at GBLUES and/or the preschool. Does this closure impact them?

  • Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School operates under the auspices of the Shippensburg Area School District (SASD). Any change to school schedule or instructional delivery is determined by SASD and will be communicated through the district’s communication channels. For more information on SASD’s response to COVID-19, please refer to: For specific questions about GBLUES, please contact Mrs. Holly Garner, Director, at or 717-477-1612.
  • Bartos Child and Family Center. For more information, please contact Ms. Stephanie McCullough, Director, at or 717-477-1792.

What about the UPS Store? Are they open?

  • The UPS Store at 408 Lancaster Drive is Shippensburg's resource for mailbox, shipping, and printing services. Check for the latest updates regarding operating hours and protocols.

Is the Fashion Archives and Museum open?

  • No. The museum is closed until further notice. A virtual walk through of the current exhibit is available.

Has anyone at Ship been diagnosed or exposed to COVID-19? 

  • Privacy is of paramount concern. Members of the community who have chosen to self report are detailed on the Confirmed Cases page.


I may have been exposed to a person with Covid-19, or have tested positive myself. What should I do?

  • Shippensburg University is committed to protecting our community and the communities beyond our campus. If you have been identified as someone who has been in contact with, or in close proximity to, any individual who has tested positive for the virus, please follow the guidance of public health officials. Employees who have tested positive for COVID-19 may notify the university with complete confidentiality by contacting the Office of Equity, Inclusion & Compliance by emailing or calling 717-477-1161.

I use the SSC Navigate Early Alert system. Are there any new guidelines for issuing alert?

  • Yes. The system has been updated to reflect the transition to distance learning. Details can be found in the email communication sent on behalf of The Student Retention Team. 

I have technology questions regarding working/teaching remotely. Where do I start?

Am I required to report to work?

  • The university has established distance-working protocols for all employees.

If I am working from home, how will I receive phone calls?

  • Cisco Jabber allows you to use your computer or a mobile device to instant message, place voice and video calls using your Ship assigned telephone number. User guides, links and instructional videos have been uploaded to help you get started.

What if I am sick?

Are there services available for employees or someone I can talk to?

  • Employees may contact human resources at (717) 477-1124 with questions and for services.
  • If you are experiencing problems, you are urged to contact the State Employee Assistance Program 1-800-692-7459.
  • The Pennsylvania Department of Health recommends texting "PA" to 741741. More information is available online regarding the Crisis Text Line.

Have a question not answered here?

Please call 717-477-1006 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.