Counselor Education and Supervision, EdD
The Counselor Education and Supervision, Ed.D. program aligns with the most contemporary vision of the counseling profession and is a large part of Shippensburg University’s proud tradition in counseling excellence. Doctorate in Counselor Education. ****Next Cohort begins Fall 2024****
Get more info
What Will I Learn?
- Leading students to assume leadership and advocacy roles in the profession of counseling across a broad range of professional specializations and settings.
- Utilizing the most current, ethical, and innovative technologies for supervision, counseling and education.
- Emphasizing contemporary competencies in all aspects of professional practice with the overarching goal of mitigating social injustices and inequities.
- Preparing advanced professionals to offer exceptional clinical supervision for counselors and student affairs professionals at all stages of their development.
- Generating new insights and developing innovative approaches in clinical supervision.
- Consulting with their academic advisor, students design a multi-disciplinary "cognate" focus to distinguish their academic program.
- Increasing the knowledge base of the counseling profession in both physical and virtual scholarly environments.
- Preparing a doctoral-level community of practitioner/scholars to create and disseminate results of scholarly practice and research.
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have?
Courses will be offered both online and face-to-face on Saturdays at Central Penn College in Harrisburg, allowing you to continue full or part-time employment while earning your degree. This flexibility allows you to continue serving your clients while gaining knowledge and supervised experience rather than suspending your career in a more residency intense model of doctoral education.
This program is designed on a cohort model with members taking all core courses and practicum and internships together over a three-year period. An additional semester or year may be required to complete and defend dissertation research and complete the degree.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
This program primarily serves license-eligible and licensed professional counselors who aspire to advance their professional knowledge and standing across advanced practitioner, clinical supervisory, counselor educator and leadership positions in Pennsylvania and beyond.