Curriculum and Instruction, MEd
Today’s teachers inspire tomorrow’s leaders. Shippensburg’s Curriculum and Instruction Master's degree program creates an adaptive structure of support that gives confidence for experimentation and achievement. The program amplifies teaching and learning through exploration of theoretical principles and practical applications. Based on the concentration you select and option within the concentration, the credit requirements vary. The M.Ed. without certification is a 36-credit MEd program.
Get more info
What Will I Learn?
Core Requirement (18 crs.)
Focus on Curriculum and Assessment
- ECH 577 - Early Childhood Curriculum and Assessment Credits: 3
Focus on Effective Teaching and Leadership
- TCH 501 - Effective Teaching: Theory and Practice Credits: 3 or
- TCH 502 - Strategies for Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving Credits: 3
- ECH 563 - Leadership in Early Childhood Education Credits: 3
Focus on Learner
- TCH 575 - Advanced Child Development Credits: 3
- ECH 510 - Diversity and Inclusion in Early Childhood Education Credits: 3
Focus on Research
- TCH 600 - Elements of Research Credits: 3
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have?
Ship is an excellent place to study to become a teacher because of the opportunities to:
- Observe classes in elementary, secondary and community college settings
- Observe physically challenged and exceptional learners
- Take part in student teaching
- Participate in student groups that complement the academic experience
- Receive personalized attention and advisement from experienced professors
There are also opportunities unique to Ship through:
- Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School – The school provides a unique opportunity to observe and participate in elementary school activities and classroom teaching experiences with children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Ship is the only university in Pennsylvania with an on-campus public elementary lab school.
- Bartos Child and Family Center – The center is adjacent to the lab school provides opportunities to observe and work with children ages one through five.
- Head Start – This program on campus provides more opportunities for observations and to work with children.
There are also plenty of opportunities to conduct and present research during your time at Shippensburg University.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
The ever-evolving field of curriculum and instruction needs qualified professionals educated in the best way to educate students and increase student achievement due to how quickly the world is changing. This program will help you learn the skills to enhance your current teaching position or move into administrative or leadership positions.
The Curriculum and Instruction, Middle School with Certification, MEd program fosters teacher growth through exploration of standards, principles, technology and culturally responsive practices.
The Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Education, MEd program fosters teacher growth through exploration of standards, principles, technology and culturally responsive practices.
The Curriculum and Instruction, Early Childhood with PreK-4th Grade Certification, M.Ed. program is for students with teaching certificates or those seeking certification.