English as a Second Language Certificate
The English as a second language certificate program is convenient and ideal for working education professionals. It is perfect for K-12 teachers who want additional certification.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn the core concepts of teaching English as a second language:
- Design programs to effectively plan, instruct and conduct assessment with K-12 students who are English language learners.
- Provide support to English language learners by learning the historical aspects of teaching English as a second language within the United States and understand the role of first languages for English language learners.
- Apply second language acquisition theories and apply them to the instruction and assessment of English language learners.
- Gain new strategies for developing your teaching English as a second language skills that will help you connect with the English language learner, their community and families across the areas of writing, reading and listening.
What are the requirements for this degree?
To be eligible for admission to the program, applicants must:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Submit a completed application.
- Have official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts sent to Shippensburg University.
This program consists of five courses with 16 credit hours of coursework. The final course will include a 40 hour supervised practicum experience where you will be providing instruction to English language learners.
The Graduate Catalog provides details about program requirements.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
This program meets the requirements established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to be certified as a program specialist for teaching English as a second language.
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have on Campus?
The English as a Second Language Certificate is a highly interactive program, consisting of five courses in an accelerated format, allowing you to finish within a year. This certificate is offered in a cohort setting that promotes a positive and personalized learning environment. You will have several experiences working with English learning students, culminating in a practicum where you will teach English learners for three weeks in the summer.